Saturday, January 25, 2014

Jesus is Your Sunshine

At the end of a powerful sermon, responding to the pastor's request, we stand to our feet for the closing hymn. Glancing over my shoulder, to the right, I notice the view outside through the small rectangular windows located on the wall, near the ceiling of the church.  My heart begins to drop.  Frigid cold, dark gray clouds spread endlessly across the sky...

Earlier this morning, I had woken up feeling depressed and sad...The icy cold, dark cloudy days, we have had for the last few weeks, was starting to take a toil on me emotionally. I was desperate to be free from this depression, so I had prayed, "Please Lord, let it be sunny today.  I can't bear another cloudy, yucky, wet day!  Please Lord! Let it be sunny!"

The music from the grand piano, echoing through the sanctuary, jolts me back to reality.  As I begin singing with the congregation, I hear a still small voice saying to me "It is not the physical sun, but the spiritual 'sun' that you need."  I stop singing and the voice continues, "Start praising God, for it is He who brings the joyous sunshine into your heart."





No comments:

Post a Comment