Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Power of Love Part One


1 John 4:16 NKJVAnd we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.”

The Greek word “agape” is the highest type of love. Agape love means selfless, sacrificial, unconditional love and this describes God’s love for us. Anything we do, good or bad, will not change His everlasting love for us. God is love.

What is the opposite of agape? Self-interest, conditional love. Conditional love means we love something or someone because perhaps it benefits us or it makes us feel good.  It expects something in return.

Agape love is the nature of God. God loves you not because you are desirable or deserving. He loves you because He has nothing else but to love.  

Love is the principle of giving self to others. I would like to share with you a couple of verses (and there are more) that show the connection between love and giving oneself like Jesus:

Ephesians 5:2 NKJV- Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up.”

Galatians 2:20 NKJV- “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

These two verses I just shared with you show that because of God’s love and unselfishness, He gave Himself for us so we can have eternal life with Him. Amazing love!

Amanda Colgan

1 comment:

  1. Yes.... Amazing love! Thank you Amanda for this inspirational post.

    ReplyDelete