Thursday, February 22, 2018

Day 53 - Remember, I am the Lord your God!

Today's Reading: Lev. 19-20

In Leviticus 19, I see God bringing attention back to the Ten Commandments, as well as expounding upon and re-emphasizing various laws. The theme of the first four commandments can be summarized in verse 2, “Holiness to the Lord” while the theme of the last 6 commandments can be summarized in verse 18, “Honor to our fellowman.” However, it’s interesting that the first commandments emphasized in this line of reminders from Exodus 20 is a combination of “honor to parents” and “honor of the Sabbath.”

Unfortunately, we as God’s people (both in ancient times and today) have the tendency to forget where we came from and who we should worship.  And so God is constantly bringing our focus back to home base. “Remember where you came from and respect your parents. But even beyond them, remember me, your heavenly parent! I created you. You came from ME! Your worship and allegiance belongs alone to me, for I am the Lord your God.”

Throughout this chapter I found that “I am the Lord” is repeated 15 times, at the end of every command.  It’s as if God is showing us that these aren’t just restrictive laws, but they are representations of His very character and heart. Let’s take a closer look:

I am the Lord of your beginnings, both physically and spiritually, don’t forget that (vs. 3). I am not a God made of stone. I am the Lord that lives and ever liveth for you (vs. 4). I am the God that gives you all things that pertain to life and godliness.  My kingdom is based on truth, not lies (vs. 11). My name is holy, just as my character is holy, and my name cannot be used to cover your life of sin (vs. 12). I am the God that forgives you thousands of times over. You have no excuse to withhold the forgiveness I have given you from others (vs. 18). I took the cuttings in my flesh so that you would not need to. Don’t mock my sacrifice (vs. 28). I take care of the poor, the weak, and the outcast. So should you for, you may have forgotten but, you were once one of them (vs. 10,20,32,34). I am the God of righteous judgment. I am just. However, I am also a God of mercy…and instead of leaving you to the life of slavery that you deserved, I have delivered you (vs. 36). Now I have given you these statutes to remain free. Don’t forget them, but keep them (vs. 37). But above all else, remember, I am the Lord your God, and there is none else! Worship me!

Psalm 23-24 also gave beautiful reminders of the God and king we serve! He is our Shepherd that provides for our daily needs, and He is our King of glory that has come to deliver us....WOW! 

Praying that the Lord will help us worship Him with a grateful heart today!

Tomorrow's Reading: Lev. 21-22 and Acts 11

No comments:

Post a Comment