Thursday, July 26, 2018

Day 207 - No Good Thing will He withhold...

Today's Reading: Job 15-17 and Ps. 83-84

[Greetings from Northeastern WA where I'm speaking for camp meeting at Sheridan Meadows. It's been such a busy week that I pretty much completely forgot to post the last two days, for which I apologize. As things usually work with this Bible journaling, I read each day and take my notes -- which I have  done -- and THEN I put some highlights of my notes online for you all to read, and that's where things have fallen between the cracks. Anyway, I pray that these brief thoughts can still be a blessing although they are posted late!]

I love the promise of Psalms 84:11 -- This promise alone has given me such courage especially when things in my life didn't always work out as I thought or hoped they should, yet I was reminded, "No good thing will God uphold from them that walk uprightly." In other words, if God is withholding something, it's because it's NOT for our best good and we can trust His wisdom. So rather can crying and complaining and being angry, we can rest assured that He's got our best interest at heart. Such peace this brings.

Regarding this passage, Steps to Christ shares the following:
Another element of prevailing prayer is faith. “He that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.” Hebrews 11:6. Jesus said to His disciples, “What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.” Mark 11:24. Do we take Him at His word? 
The assurance is broad and unlimited, and He is faithful who has promised. When we do not receive the very things we asked for, at the time we ask, we are still to believe that the Lord hears and that He will answer our prayers. We are so erring and short-sighted that we sometimes ask for things that would not be a blessing to us, and our heavenly Father in love answers our prayers by giving us that which will be for our highest good—that which we ourselves would desire if with vision divinely enlightened we could see all things as they really are. When our prayers seem not to be answered, we are to cling to the promise; for the time of answering will surely come, and we shall receive the blessing we need most. But to claim that prayer will always be answered in the very way and for the particular thing that we desire, is presumption. God is too wise to err, and too good to withhold any good thing from them that walk uprightly. Then do not fear to trust Him, even though you do not see the immediate answer to your prayers. Rely upon His sure promise, “Ask, and it shall be given you.” (p. 96)
Beautiful promises... so rather than crying about something that God is not doing in our lives, let our hearts join the Psalmist in crying out for more of Him: "My soul length, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the Lord: my heart ad my flesh crieth out for the living God." (Ps. 84:2)

Tomorrow's Reading: Job 18-19 and Luke 19

No comments:

Post a Comment