Friday, June 08, 2018

Day 159 - Willing to be Made Willing!

Today's Reading: 1 Chron. 1-3 and 2 Cor. 10

[This is a belated post that I journaled, but failed to post for June 8th! Somehow I got ahead of myself, and never posted my notes on this blog.]

I really loved the thoughts in 2 Cor. 10 that talk about taking our thoughts captive for Christ.

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." (2 Cor. 10:3-5)

In Acts of the Apostles, I read the following corresponding notes:
"God wishes us to have the mastery over ourselves. But He cannot help us without our consent and co-operation. The divine Spirit works through the powers and faculties given to man. Of ourselves, we are not able to bring the purposes and desires and inclinations into harmony with the will of God; but if we are “willing to be made willing,” the Saviour will accomplish this for us, “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5. (Acts of the Apostles, p. 482)
This is what I loved about this chapter... because this has been my experience so many times. "Lord, I  don't have the nature desire to do or think what you desire.....but I'm willing to be made willing!" To be honest, sometimes I have to tell God, "I don't want to do what you are asking, but I'm willing to be willing to be willing to be willing to be made willing..." (No joking!) And this is what I think is so beautiful. Because all God needs is our choice to be willing... And He will do in and through us what we cannot do. He will give us His thoughts, He will create in us that new mind and that new heart!

Promises I often claim are Jer. 24:7, Ezek. 36:26.

Tomorrow's Reading: 1 Chron 4-6 and 2 Cor. 11

No comments:

Post a Comment