Sunday, June 17, 2018

Day 168 - I am Poor and Needy!


Today's Reading: 1 Chron. 28-29 and Psalm 70-71

Today's reading in 1 Chronicles talked about David's preparations for the temple and his appeal to Israel (and to Solomon) to dedicate resources to the temple and to serve God with all their hearts. As a result, the people gave willingly. It's a beautiful testimony followed by a beautiful prayer of praise to God.

On the other hand, the reading in Psalms goes back in history and bit and shares David's appeal to God in his great need as he was running from Saul. And this is what jumped out at me most today... HIS GREAT NEED!

Perhaps I sound like a broken record as I've probably talked about this before in my daily blogging, and I talk about it all the time when I present and speak. But David's cry to God was really the secret to his success. His prayer was, "I am poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: thou art my help and deliverer..." (Ps. 70:5)

It is always at our point of GREAT NEED that God meets us! He can meet us no other place. When we think we are doing okay, when we think we are strong, He cannot help us... but when we cry to Him in our great need, that is when He reaches down from heaven to strengthen us and to meet our need. It is always with the broken and contrite hearts that He will dwell... (Ps. 57:15)

I love the following thoughts from Ellen White. They give me such courage, and I'm in need of this courage even today as I struggle to encompass all that is before me as I prepare for yet another trip...
"Grace is an attribute of God exercised toward undeserving human beings. We did not seek for it, but it was sent in search of us. God rejoices to bestow His grace upon us, not because we are worthy, but because we are so utterly unworthy. Our only claim to His mercy is our great need." (Ministry of Healing, p. 161) 
"From the soul that feels his need, nothing is withheld. He has unrestricted access to Him in whom all fullness dwells." (Desire of Ages, p. 300)
Are we poor and needy today? If so... God is here, ready to assist us! I love the quote from Oswald Chambers. "When we choose deliberately to obey God, then, He will tax the remotest star and the last grain of sand to assist us with all His almighty power.”

Tomorrow's Reading: 2 Chron. 1-2 and Galatians 4

No comments:

Post a Comment