Sunday, December 09, 2018

Day 343 - Blessings Bestowed, Blessings Removed!

Today's Reading: Amos 3-4 and Ps. 140-141

In Amos 4 we see the Lord's judgements upon Samaria... and His repeated appeal for them to return unto Him. How does He try to get their attention so they will return? Unfortunately the only way it seems is by removing blessings. 

Ellen White explains it this way:

"God speaks to His people in blessings bestowed; and when these are not appreciated, He speaks to them in blessings removed, that they may be led to see their sins, and return to Him with their whole heart." (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 470)

Here's His sad removal of blessings from Samaria!

  • I have given you famine of bread... yet you have not returned unto me, says the Lord.
  • I have held back the rain from you...yet you have not returned unto me...
  • I have smitten you with blasting and mildew and your gardens have dried up... yet you have not returned unto me...
  • I have sent pestilence and your young men I have killed... yet you have not returned to me
  • I have plucked some of you as a brand out of the fire... yet you have not returned to me...
Does God have to remove blessings to get our attention? Despite the removal of blessings the people of Samaria still do not return to Him... wow! Can our hearts become this hard? 
"No repentance is genuine that does not work reformation. The righteousness of Christ is not a cloak to cover unconfessed and unforsaken sin; it is a principle of life that transforms the character and controls the conduct. Holiness is wholeness for God; it is the entire surrender of heart and life to the indwelling of the principles of heaven."  (Desire of Ages, p. 555)
Let us pray that we would have an ear that is soft to the promptings of His Spirit, that He will not have to take drastic measures in our life to get our attention... May our repentance work reformation, lasting reformation, for God's glory.

Tomorrow's Reading: Amos 5-6 and Revelation 7

No comments:

Post a Comment