Friday, September 28, 2018

Day 271 - His Thoughts are Far Beyond Anything we can Imagine!

Today's Reading: Isa. 55-56 and Hebrews 10

Love these chapters in Isaiah. Today I'm going to mention briefly Isa. 55:8-9. I love these passages because they always reminds me of the incredible magnitude of the God we serve.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

I love looking at the stars at night. But how do we comprehend a God whose ways are as the heavens higher than the earth. Just how far are the heavens above the earth? Have you ever stopped to think about it?

I'm going to post here something I shared in my book, Daring to Ask for More, that really brought things into perspective for me years ago when I thought about this verse:
While God’s power cannot be measured by human standards, let’s pause here a moment. As we know, the basic unit of measurement in the universe is a light-year. To understand the significance of a light-year, let’s do some simple mathematical calculation. 
Scientific research has shown that light travels at an amazing speed of 186,000 miles per second, which, according to NASA, is so fast that in the time it takes you to snap your fingers, light can circle the earth over seven times. That’s pretty fast, but we are just getting started! 
If we calculate further, we find that in one-minutelight travels a little over 11 million miles. If we multiple that by 1,440 (that’s how many minutes there are in 24 hours), we find that in one daylight will travel approximately 16 billion, 70 million, 400 thousand miles. If we multiply this by 365 days per year, we find that light travels a whopping 5 trillion, 865 billion, 696 million miles. And that, dear friends, is just one light year!

However, according to scientific calculations, the outer edge of the observable universe is estimated to be about 46-47 billion light-years away—a distance so vast that we can’t even begin to comprehend the sheer magnitude of these numbers in human thinking.

Of course, even the best of human calculations don’t come close to estimating the reality of God’s expansive universe; much less help us understand the incredible vastness of the love of God. 
Inspiration tells us, “The mightiest intellects of earth cannot comprehend God. Men may be ever searching, ever learning, and still there is an infinity beyond.” (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 116)
Wow! I think our God is big enough... He can handle the issues and struggles that we face. He is in control.

Tomorrow's Reading: Isa. 57-58 and Hebrews 11

No comments:

Post a Comment