Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Day 276 - To Tremble at His Word!

Today's Reading: Isa. 65-66 and John 1

Just read this inspiring passage in Isaiah 66:1-2 this morning. “Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and [who] trembleth at my word.” 

What does it mean to tremble at God’s Word?? I don’t think this is fear or fright, but rather a “holy awe.” If you’ve ever received a love letter, you know the eagerness, joy and expectancy that hangs upon every word written by the one you love. That’s how I think it should be when we read God’s Word. Our heart hangs upon His every Word and soaks it up with eager readiness. “Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O Lord God of hosts.” (Jer. 15:16) 

Beyond intellectual respect, we have a sacred esteem for the divine inspiration of Scripture that says, “Anything You say in Your Word Lord, I’m ready to obey, for this is not the mere words of men!” To tremble also means humility. In Desire of Ages, EGW writes: “The sincere, contrite soul is precious in the sight of God. He places His own signet upon men, not by their rank, not by their wealth, not by their intellectual greatness, but by their oneness with Christ. The Lord of glory is satisfied with those who are meek and lowly in heart.” (DA 437)

Speaking of trembling at the Word of God as we finish the book of Isaiah, how fitting that we are just now beginning the book of John. It starts off... 

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...and the Word was made flesh..." John 1:1,14

Jesus came and He gave us a living love letter, a living picture of God the Father. What an incredible gift we have with God's Word!

Tomorrow's Reading: Jer. 1-2 and Ps. 112-113

No comments:

Post a Comment