Friday, October 26, 2018

Day 299 - The Key to Unity!

Today's Reading: Jer. 47-48 and John 17

In today's reading of John 17, we are reminded of Jesus great desire for His people.... Here's a portion of His prayer.

"I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one. I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me." (John 17:15-23)

So how do we see the fulfillment of Christ's prayer? I think there's only one true answer, and that is union with Christ. Let me share one of my favorite quotes from Adventist Home:
"The cause of division and discord in families and in the church is separation from Christ. To come near to Christ is to come near to one another. The secret of true unity in the church and in the family is not diplomacy, not management, not a superhuman effort to overcome difficulties—though there will be much of this to do—but union with Christ. Picture a large circle, from the edge of which are many lines all running to the center. The nearer these lines approach the center, the nearer they are to one another.  Thus it is in the Christian life. The closer we come to Christ, the nearer we shall be to one another. God is glorified as His people unite in harmonious action." (p. 179)
Let's focus on drawing close to Christ, and as we do, all our other issues will work themselves out...

Tomorrow's Reading: Jer. 49-50 and John 18

No comments:

Post a Comment