Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Day 283 - Pray for the Lost while we Still can!

Today's Reading: Jer. 13-14 and John 6

More sobering reading in today's chapters of Jeremiah, as we see the results and the reward given to the people that have turned away from God. "My soul will weep in secret places for your pride; and my eye shall weep sore, and run down with tears, because the Lord's flock is carried away captive." Jeremiah writes.

In another passage the appeal is made to the Shepherds of Israel, the tenders of the flock: "Where is the flock that was given thee?" You see, even the pastors and spiritual leaders have failed and forsaken God. And they have led their flocks astray...

I found it startling to read in these passages, both yesterday and today, that there comes a point that God says, "Don't even pray for them anymore! I'm done. I'm not listening to your prayers on their behalf anymore..."

Jeremiah 11:14 says, "Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up a cry or prayer for them: for I will not hear them in the time that they cry unto me for their trouble."

Then in today's reading I saw it again in Jeremiah 14:11-12: "Then said the LORD unto me, Pray not for this people for their good. When they fast, I will not hear their cry; and when they offer burnt offering and an oblation, I will not accept them: but I will consume them by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence."

Why does God no longer hear? It's because Israel has given themselves over to Baal. And it's like God is finally say, "Enough is enough! Serve Baal. He can't help you, but that's fine. Serve him and don't cry to me anymore, because I won't hear you..."

It takes a long time of forbearance to get to this point, and I think that we are so use to the mercy of God that we take it for granted. We teach, "But He will always forgive!" Yes, He forgives and He is a God of mercy, but a day is coming when His mercy will no longer be extended, and our prayers won't make a difference anymore for those who have chosen the path of destruction... wow!! So sobering! Heartbreaking. In fact, in these passages, even Jeremiah is crying... "My eyes run down with tears night and day, for the virgin daughter of my people is broken with a great breach." (Jer. 14:17)

Probation is running out. Let's PRAY and use the time while we still have it. Let's pray while we still can, for the deliverance of God's people from destruction... Don't stop praying yet!

Tomorrow's Reading: Jer. 15-16 and Ps. 116

No comments:

Post a Comment