Monday, June 03, 2013

They Found the Secret


I thought for today's Morning Sonshine, I'd include one of the testimonies from my gospel chapter.

Hudson Taylor, one of the early pioneer missionaries to the interior of China, spent many years working as a missionary carrying heavy burdens before he realized the secret of the gospel’s power. Discouraged with the weight of sin and his constant shortcomings, he longed for peace, but saw only darkness and wondered if it was even possible that Christ could save him. However one day the truth of the gospel came home to him, and he grasped the fullness of what Christ came to bring. In a letter to his sister, he describes his awakening experience and its effect upon his life.

“I’ve finally learned how to get faith strengthened. Not by striving after faith, but by resting on the Faithful One. The sweetest part, if one may speak of one part being sweeter than another, is the rest which full identification with Christ brings. I am no longer anxious about anything, as I realize this; for He, I know, is able to carry out His will, and His will is mine. It makes no matter where He places me, or how. For in the easiest positions He must give me grace, and in the most difficult His grace is sufficient.” From They Found the Secret, p. 17-21

Others, who were witnesses to Hudson Taylor’s transformed life, later added their own testimonies. “He was a man bearing tremendous burdens, yet absolutely calm and unruffled. He was an object lesson in quietness. He drew from the bank of heaven every farthing of his daily income – ‘My peace I give unto you.’ Whatever did not agitate the Savior, or ruffle His spirit was not to agitate him. Although occupied with millions, he knew nothing of rush or hurry, of quivering nerves or vexation of spirit. He knew there was a peace passing all understanding, and that he could not do without.” They Found the Secret, p. 21

This was the testimony of Taylor’s life after he gave his burdens to Christ, and accepted the gift that the gospel came to bring. He and many others through history can echo the following transformation that the gospel brings.


Once it was the blessing, now it is the Lord;
Once it was the feeling, now it is His Word;
Once His gifts I wanted, now the Giver own;
Once I sought for healing, now Himself alone.

Once ‘twas painful trying, now ‘tis perfect trust;
Once a half salvation, now the uttermost;
Once ‘twas ceaseless holding, now He holds me fast;
Once ‘twas constant drifting, now my anchor’s cast.

Once ‘twas busy planning, now ‘tis trustful prayer;
Once ‘twas anxious caring, now He has the care;
Once ‘twas what I wanted, now what Jesus says;
Once ‘twas constant asking, now ‘tis ceaseless praise.

Once it was my working, His it hence shall be;
Once I tried to use Him, now He uses me;
Once the power I wanted, now the Mighty One;
Once for self I labored, now for Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment