Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Day 79 - The Blessing or the Curse?

Today's Reading: Deut. 10-11 and Romans 1

Again... so much depth in these chapters. How can I briefly share...

In these chapters we see God's appeal to His children (that's us too), to serve Him with all our heart, soul and strength. We find His appeal to circumcise the foreskin of our heart. (10:16) I think that means SELF! We have to allow Christ to cut self/flesh out of our heart and seek after the things of the Spirit! We have to ask for God to give us His heart.

We also find the beautiful promise of God's blessings when we live and follow Him in obedience... but God didn't force the children of Israel to follow Him. They had to choose, just as Eve had to choose, and just as we have to choose today.

"Behold I have set before you this day a blessing a curse: A blessing if you obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day: and A curse if you will not obey..." Deu. 11:26-27.

Ellen White writes
"God has given us the power of choice; it is ours to exercise. We cannot change our hearts, we cannot control our thoughts, our impulses, our affections. We cannot make ourselves pure, fit for God’s service. But we can choose to serve God, we can give Him our will; then He will work in us to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Thus our whole nature will be brought under the control of Christt." The Ministry of Healing, 176
Understanding the power of choice and the power of the will has made such a difference in my walk with God. So many times I have found myself struggling, not want to do what is right, wanting to follow my feelings instead of faith, wanting to doubt instead of trust, wanting to gratify my flesh rather than yield to Him. But over the years I've been learning to pray, "Lord, I give You my will. I choose to serve You. Please change my heart. Please help me!" And every time I've prayed that prayer, God has answered! He's always come through...

So which will we choose today? The blessing or the curse?

Tomorrow's reading: Deut. 12-14 and Romans 2

No comments:

Post a Comment