Thursday, March 29, 2018

Day 88 - A Circumcised heart!

Today's Reading: Deut. 29-30 and Ps. 36

I love the promise of Deut. 30:6. "And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live."

I love this promise because I don't naturally love God with all my heart, soul and strength. And I need Him to give me a new heart.

So what does "circumcise" mean? Well, in the literal sense, it means to cut away the flesh. But spiritually I think it means the same, because it is the FLESH/SELF that continually hinders our service to God and our walk with God. Remember, He has called us to live according to the Spirit, not according to the flesh... but as long as we are servants to the flesh, we cannot be all that God has called us to be.

Deut. 10:16 gets even more clear: "Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiff-necked."

Oh how we are prone to be stiff-necked, to follow the dictates of our own heart...

Was reminded of this passage from Inspiration as I reflect on this reading today:
"No outward observances can take the place of simple faith and entire renunciation of self. But no man can empty himself of self. We can only consent for Christ to accomplish the work. Then the language of the soul will be, Lord, take my heart; for I cannot give it. It is Thy property. Keep it pure, for I cannot keep it for Thee. Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self. Mold me, fashion me, raise me into a pure and holy atmosphere, where the rich current of Thy love can flow through my soul. It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation of self is to be made. At every advance step heavenward it is to be renewed. All our good works are dependent on a power outside of ourselves. Therefore there needs to be a continual reaching out of the heart after God, a continual, earnest, heartbreaking confession of sin and humbling of the soul before Him. Only by constant renunciation of self and dependence on Christ can we walk safely."  Christ Object Lessons, p. 159
Lord, take my heart...

Tomorrow's Reading: Deut. 31-32 and Romans 8

No comments:

Post a Comment