Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Day 101 - How Many Times Until We learn our Lesson?


Today's Reading: Judges 3-4 and Mark 1

Oh my, reading the chapters in Judges today was quite... well... exasperating! ;-) So we see the children of Israel turn away from God and follow their pagan gods, so the Lord delivers them into the hands of their enemies... They are slaves for 8 years THEN they cry unto God and He brings a deliverer. So the land has peace for 20 years. Then they do evil in the sight of the Lord again, and the Lord delivers them over to their enemies. So they are slaves for 18 years, THEN they cry unto the Lord and He again sends a deliverer and they have peace for 80 years. Then when their deliverer is dead, they do evil in the sight of the Lord AGAIN, and AGAIN the Lord delivers them over to their enemies. And they are slaves for 20 years.... and THEN they cry unto the Lord again and He raises up a deliverer... this time through a woman named Deborah and a woman named Jael. This story is so crazy it is almost comical...and yet how terribly sad to see the history of mistakes and sins repeated again and again... and YET... despite Israel's continual habitual pattern to turn away from God, every time they cry, He answers and sends a deliverer... 

What a sobering lessons! And it's easy to be harsh on the children of Israel thinking, "What in the world are they thinking?! How come they keep falling away from God and sinning again?" Yet, I recognize my own weakness and my own tendency (if I don't stay connected to my Savior) to walk away after the allurements of the world. I know better, but I still wound Him afresh time and time again... I just praise the Lord for the promise, "Him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37. He's waiting, no matter where we've been, or how long we've been away, He's there waiting for us to come home. If we go to Him, He will never turn us away! Praise the Lord!

Tomorrow's Reading: Judges 5-6 and Psalms 40-41

No comments:

Post a Comment