Monday, April 23, 2018

Day 113 - Speak Lord, I am Listening!

Today's Reading: 1 Sam 1-3 and Mark 9

I love the story of little Samuel, and how he is birthed out the anguish and faith of a mother's earnest prayers. (Have you noticed that many great men of Scripture came from mothers who were initially BARREN? This is a fascinating study all in itself.)

Hannah had promised that if God opened her womb and gave her a son she would dedicate him to the Lord. God honored her request, and she kept her word! Once Samuel was old enough, she took him to the temple and gave him to the care of priest Eli.

It seems in those days that there was not any open vision between the Lord and the priest (1 Sam. 3:1), because the sins of the Eli's house had shut out the presence of the Lord and He could not speak with them. However, at a young age, the Lord begins to speak to Samuel. What a beautiful picture of innocent humility, and openess to God's Word. "Here I am Lord, speak for I am listening!"

I remember reading this story as a child and wondering if God would ever speak to me or call me by name... What a beautiful privilege to talk to the Lord. Well, I don't know that I've ever heard the audible voice of God, but He has called me by name, and I have heard His voice through His Word countless times. So as I read this story again this morning, I have to ask myself... "Do we have an ear for the Lord? Are we listening? Or are we too distracted, too busy, too occupied with life?"

If we are listening, God will speak to us. So let's make sure we stay in tune with His voice today! I promise, if you intentionally turn off the distractions around you, open His Word, He will have a special message just for you.... TODAY!

I love this promise from Revelation...

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give treat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." Rev. 2:7

Tomorrow's Reading: 1 Sam. 4-6 and Mark 10

No comments:

Post a Comment