Friday, April 06, 2018

Day 96 - I will take the Land of the Giants!

Today's Reading: Josh 12-15 and Rom. 13

I love what happened with Caleb in today's reading. As we remember, Caleb was the other faithful spy who had stood strong with Joshua after coming from searching out the land of Canaan. While 10 spies talked doubt, Joshua and Caleb had talked faith, and as a result, God allowed them to live and be part of the conquest of the land of Canaan. Now it's time for Caleb to receive his inheritance. Listen to Caleb's humble and yet faith-filled request of the Lord:

"Then the children of Judah came unto Joshua in Gilgal: and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite said unto [Joshua], Thou knows the thing that the LORD said unto Moses the man of God concerning me and thee in Kadpshbarnea. Forty years old was I when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadpshbarnea to spy out the land; and I brought him word again as it was in mine heart. Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the LORD my God. And Moses share on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the LORD my God. And now, behold, the LORD hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the LORD spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old. As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in. Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou hardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said." Joshua 14:6-12

Caleb could have asked for easy territory. He could have said, "I wholly followed the Lord, I deserve the cream of the land." But no, instead he said... Give me that mountain, where the giants are. I am just as strong now as I was 45 years ago. If the Lord is with me, I will be able to drive them out. That's what I want for my inheritance!"

Inspiration tells us:
Caleb now reminded Joshua of the promise then made, as the reward of his faithfulness: “The land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children’s forever, because thou hast wholly followed the Lord.” He therefore presented a request that Hebron be given him for a possession. Here had been for many years the home of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and here, in the cave of Machpelah, they were buried. Hebron was the seat of the dreaded Anakim, whose formidable appearance had so terrified the spies, and through them destroyed the courage of all Israel. This, above all others, was the place which Caleb, trusting in the strength of God, chose for his inheritance
He did not ask for himself a land already conquered, but the place which above all others the spies had thought it impossible to subdue. By the help of God he would wrest his stronghold from the very giants whose power had staggered the faith of Israel. It was no desire for honor or aggrandizement that prompted Caleb’s request. The brave old warrior was desirous of giving to the people an example that would honor God, and encourage the tribes fully to subdue the land which their fathers had deemed unconquerable. (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 511,512) 
Wow! What lessons in faith for us today.

Tomorrow's Reading: Josh. 16-19 and Rom. 14

No comments:

Post a Comment