Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Love Day

I don't know why, but Valentines has been one of my favorite holidays for years. Maybe it's because I'm a sentimental person and I love all the hearts and roses and nice fluffy teddy-bears I see everywhere.  One of my friends was actually born on Valentines and I always thought that was the coolest thing. 

Valentines is a big holiday in Bangladesh, and as I was leaving to come back to the States this past week, I was piled high with valentines cards and love notes from all my kids. These gifts I will treasure for years to come as I look back on this wonderful adventure.

As they say, "Love is what makes the world go round." But as I was lying awake in bed last night, after just returning from Bangladesh, I was thinking, "Love is what makes the world period."

It was LOVE that created our world to begin with. It was LOVE that rescued mankind when they stepped away from God's original perfect plan. Yes, it was LOVE that sent Jesus, the King of the universe down to our dark dying world to take our place on the cross. And it's LOVE that sends us around the world to LOVE the least of these today.

Unfortunately, I think we all too often forget the gift of LOVE that we've been given. We also forget to pass on the LOVE God has given us.

Think about it: 

God – The greatest being
So Loved – The greatest principle
The World – The greatest people in need (that’s us)
That He Gave – The greatest action
His Only Begotten Son – The greatest gift
That Whosoever Believeth – The greatest invitation
Might not Perish – The greatest rescue from the greatest disaster
But have Eternal Life – The greatest lasting privilege and eternal joy

We are told, “The heart of God yearns over His earthly children with a love stronger than death. In giving up His Son, He has poured out to us all heaven in one gift. The Savior’s life and death and intercession, the ministry of angels, the pleading of the Spirit, the Father working above and through all, the unceasing interest of heavenly beings, all are enlisted in behalf of man’s redemption.”[i] He did not give just any gift, “He gave the choicest gift of Heaven, and [as a result] the treasures of Heaven are at our command.”[ii]

Do we realize the gift of LOVE we've received? Are we willing to pass this gift of LOVE on to those who still do not yet know? Think about it. And while you do, have a happy "love" day, loving all those nearest. Remember, this isn't just a holiday for boyfriends and girlfriends or husbands and wives - it's for all of us! 

ENDNOTE: By the way, in 2009 I wrote an article called "My Perfect Valentine." The online girls magazine where it was published has since gone through reformatting, so it's not available online anymore, but I still have the short article. I think some of you might enjoy it. CLICK HERE to view!





[i] Steps to Christ, p. 21
[ii] 1st Selected Messages, p. 324

No comments:

Post a Comment