Saturday, January 13, 2018

Day 13 - Jesus' Personal Principles for Service!

Today's Reading: Gen. 26-27 and Matt. 10

For today's blog highlight of my Bible reading, I'm going to skip over the story line I've been following in Genesis and go to Matthew 10.

Matthew 10 is packed with so many gold nuggets and practical lessons. In fact, I was thinking to myself a day or so ago, that if Christians really understood and lived by the principles shared in the first few chapters of Matthew, this world would be a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT place. The principles of Christian living that Christ enunciates to His disciples and the multitudes pressing around are so backwards and opposite from what normal living usually is.

In Matthew 10, I see a list of principles for service that Christ gives His disciples. Here they are in a Melody paraphrase and nutshell:

  • I've given to you freely, now FREELY give to others!
  • Don't stress or worry about provision for the journey -- just Go!
  • Be wise, stay humble! You will be mingling with those who want to devour you!
  • Expect persecution! It comes to all those that follow Me!
  • Don't worry what to say when the pressure comes -- I will give you the words right when you need them!
  • The lessons I teach you in the dark discouraging times, share with others in the light!
  • If you are not ashamed to speak of Me, I will not be ashamed to speak of you!
  • If you love anything or ANYONE more than me, you aren't worthy of Me! (Don't forget, I left all Heaven for YOU!)
  • Don't run from the cross! Take it up gladly! But remember, I took up the CROSS first! 
It's interesting how we see Jesus life and yet, when we start to face some of the things He faced, we cry "What is happening Lord, why am I going through this hardship?!"

Yes, these principles for service aren't popular, or aren't what we'd normally like to hear. They are "otherworldly' -- in other worlds, they come from a different world than our own. But wow, how life transforming they will be if we recognize the reality and the eternal glory of the mission to which we are called. We must remember that Jesus will never ask us to do anything that He has not already done. He has led the way... Let's follow His steps! 

Tears come to my eyes as I read and contemplate today's thoughts... 

"Lord, forgive me for the times I've been ashamed to speak, ashamed to stick out, ashamed and reluctant to take up my cross... Forgive me for the times I've held Your blessings to myself and not been willing to share freely as You've shared with me... Change my heart today Lord! Make me more like You..."

Tomorrow's Reading: Gen. 28-29, Psalms 7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment