Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Day 16 - The Perfect Prayer Model

 Today's Reading: Gen. 32-33, and Matt. 12

Genesis 32 is one of my favorite chapters when it comes to prayer as Jacob wrestles with the angel (the Lord) and holds on saying, "I will not let go except you bless me." And God grants his requests.

But this time as I read through the chapter, I actually saw an earlier prayer that led up to that desperate prayer that I hadn't seen before.

Let's start a few verses earlier (Gen. 32:9-12) where Jacob actually prays, in his desperation, the perfect prayer model.

The Perfect Prayer Model:

  • He approaches God in worship and reverence, acknowledging WHO He is: "O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac..."
  • He claims God's Word, reminding Him what He said: "...Who said to me, 'Return to your country and I will deal well with you...' "
  • He pleads his own unworthiness: "I am not worthy of the least of all your mercies which you have shown your servant..." (Inspiration tells us, "From the soul who feels his need nothing is withheld. He has unrestricted access to Him in whom all fulness dwells." (DA 300)
  • He gives his earnest desperate plea: "Deliver me Lord!"
  • He once again claims God's Word: "For You SAID, 'I will surely treat you well, and make your descendants as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.' "
  • Then he did the best in his power to make peace -- by sending Esau presents with a message of humility - "These come from your servant Jacob"
  • Then comes the famous prayer where he continued to wrestle until breakthrough: "I will not let you go accept you bless me..."
And God answered his prayer and blessed him! But it's because it came with humility, with need, backed up by His own Word.

What a beautiful model and illustration of what true prayer should look like! I love it!

Tomorrow's reading: Gen. 34-36 and Matt. 13

No comments:

Post a Comment