Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Day 23 - More beautiful Glimpses of Jesus

Today's Reading: Gen. 47-48 and Matt. 17

I love seeing the reunion of Joseph with his father... makes me think of how wonderful the reunion will be someday with our heavenly Father.

Joseph brought 5 of his brothers before Pharaoh. Probably the most attractive ones. And he expected special privileges and treatment for them. He told Pharaoh, "my father and my brethren are come."

And yet I think it's interesting that Jesus did the exact opposite. When people interrupted Jesus while He was teaching, they said "Your mother and brethren are here!" They were expecting Jesus to give them special treatment or deference. And yet Jesus responded, "Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." Matt. 12:48-50

We all become entitled to the bounties of heaven….when we do God's will!! So beautiful and powerful! We are adopted children of the KING!!!

Pharaoh told Joseph that the land of Egypt is before thee. He gave Joseph's family the BEST of the land. Thankfully when we come to Gods throne, He also gives us His best. He gives us a land flowing with milk and honey.... On this earth spiritually. In heaven physically. "Oh taste and see that God is good!" Ps. 34:8

Pharaoh offers to make Joseph brothers ruler over his cattle. Jesus makes us shepherds over His sheep. He could have saved the world and won people to Himself without our help, but He asks us to be co-labors with Him. Even the angels desire to do the work we get to do, but Jesus asked us to do this special work of winning souls to the kingdom. Again goes back to "Taste and see!" When we taste and see that God is good, we will want to share Him with others!

Jacob tells Pharaoh "few and evil have the days of the years of my life been." And yet Jacob went through tremendous trials and pain, with his separation from his father Isaac in earlier years, working for Laban all those years, and then losing his son Joseph. And yet when it's all over, he says few and evil have the days of my life been." In other words, it sounds to me like Jacob is saying they haven't been that bad. God has been good!

When we get to heaven we will say we would not choose to walk any other way! While right now we may experience trials and sufferings in this life, when we get to heaven it won't look that bad as we look back and consider the glories of what has been given us by God.

Reminds me of one of my favorite promises I've claimed during times of intense grief and trial. "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

One other thing that jumped out at me is that Joseph's sons received Jacob's name... And we are someday to receive Jesus' name. So beautiful! I sure am looking forward to the Promised Land, to Heaven. No more heartache, no more tears... no more separation from family members.

Tomorrow's Reading: Gen. 49-50

No comments:

Post a Comment