Thursday, May 03, 2018

Day 123 - Thy Handmaid, a Servant

Today's Reading: 1 Sam. 25-26 and Psalm 49

In today's reading we see David set out to wipe out Nabal, as Nabal had refused to give David and his men food. But then there was Abigail... Nabal's lovely and god-fearing wife, full of wisdom and diligent. As you see her description in the Bible, it's actually quite astounding that she was married to a man like Nabal... who is completely opposite: rash, bold, ugly, uncaring, abrasive. (Yet, as we know, men and woman can put on masks in the early stage, and it's only after marriage you meet the real person. Unfortunately it appears this was the case here....) Never less, when Abigail hears how her husband has treated David, she sets out to make things right, and she takes the blame on herself. In fact, it is her humility that saves the day...

After David and his army is appeased and stopped in their tracks, she returns home in peace. A few days later, after her husband recovers from a drunken stupor, she tells her husband what happened and the Bible says that his heart died within him, and he became as stone. (I'm not sure what this means literally... but it appears that God's judgement was already falling on him, for within 10 days after, he literally died.)

The interesting twist to this story is, it seems that almost immediately David sends for Abigail so she can be his wife. And what is her response? "Let me take some time to mourn and weep for my husband," or "How could you think such a thing, especially as you sought to destroy my family?" No! Abigail responds, "Behold, let thine handmade be a servant to wash the feet of the servants of my lord." Wow! Talk about swallowing all her personal struggles and pain... or perhaps David was her deliverer, and she was relieved to be starting a new life?

However, seeing her response makes me ask another question. Is this my response when my King Jesus calls? When He cuts away the lovers of the world, and sets me free, and then calls me into service? Or do I say, "Not yet Lord, let me nurse my wounds, let me have some time to cry, let me take care of myself awhile...."

Dear Heavenly Father, we (either men or women) don't naturally have the humble heart of a servant, willing to put others needs before our own, willing to take the lowest place and wash the feet of others. We need You to change us...Help us to remember that You came to earth not to be served, but to teach us how to serve. What a witness and testimony!

[Personal Note: This morning I landed in Brisbane Australia. So many blessings, even on just the beginning of this trip... Divine providential conversations with Uber driver who took me to DC airport, got all my heavy bags with books on the plane with no hassle, great flights, and God even sent friends for the last flight from LAX to Brisbane. I really dislike flying across the ocean alone... I do it all the time, but each time it's really hard for me. But when there are friends on the plane, it just makes it easier! Anyway, at the gate in LAX I met John and Angela Lomacang, also catching the same flight to Brisbane! Unbelievable! They were sitting only 3 seats away from me. We all slept most of the time. It was a loooooong night flight (almost 14 hours in complete darkness) as we raced the sunshine across the ocean. The sunshine caught up to us just as we were landing in Brisbane. Anyway, God is sooo good! And praise the Lord, my back did not bother me on the flight. It has been hurting a bit more lately, so I was worried! God is good! I'm here now.... Jet lagged, exhausted, but feeling very blessed and praising the Lord for the safe trip! I'm determined to STAY AWAKE today so I can get into the schedule faster. Tomorrow the prayer conference begins. Today is also special as my brother Homer turns 31!]

Tomorrow's Reading: 1 Sam. 27-28 and 1 Cor. 1

No comments:

Post a Comment