Monday, May 14, 2018

Day 134 - Is it Obvious that We Love God?

Today's Reading: 2 Samuel 19-20 and 1 Cor. 8

More and more I can understand why God did not want David to build him a temple/tabernacle. David's reign really was a bloody reign in so many ways. It's hard to imagine what it might have been like to live in that day.... when so many were killed in battles or in vengeance of something that occurred (and that was normal), when one often had many wives, and when you never knew who would turn against you next and stab you in the back. I am reminded again however, that this world is a constant battle and great controversy between good and evil. And someday all this war and bloodshed (that continues even today), will be put to an end... So looking forward to that day!

On a different, more uplifting note, I was really encouraged by 1 Cor. 8:3, "If any man love God, the same is known of him." As I read this passage, I have to ask the question, "Is it obvious to the world around us that we love God." As I have heard it asked, "If we were put on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict us?" If not, something is wrong... For truly, if we love God and if He's captured our hearts, that will be seen in our daily life, from the time we get up to the time we go to bed, to the way we live seeking to bring glory to God in everything we do. If we truly love God, we also will be very careful, not wanting to be a stumbling block to others. As we are told in 1 Cor. 8:12, when we do something that causes a weaker brother to sin, we are not only sinning against them but against Christ. In this passage I see that we are accountable to each other, and in our life and witness, we need to consider how what we say and do will influence others. While we need to hold our ground and stand strong for Christ, even when this goes against or offends popular culture or opinion, we also need to be mindful of there who may be convicted about certain things perhaps that we have not... We don't want to cause anyone to send by being careless...

I think this chapter holds very practical and relevant thoughts for our daily life, and I'm encouraged afresh to seek a deeper walk with Christ that will naturally spill over in joyful witness to all that may cross my path... This is not about modeling a certain set of standards... this is about displaying the beauty and glory of Christ! This is about winning others by the love of Christ...

[Personal Updates: Just finishing a wonderful weekend at AUP (Adventist University of the Philippines). What a beautiful campus with many beautiful people! I shared some of my testimony Sabbath for the divine service at the big church (some 2-3,000 students and staff were in attendance). I think this may be one of the biggest audiences I've ever spoken to. I praise the Lord for complete peace and strength to share. In the afternoon I did another sharing time for the students. They were very hungry and eager to learn. Now I'm preparing to head back to Manila to get ready for my week of prayer at Pasay SDA church. The weather is warm but not miserably hot as I expected. The food has been wonderful, although always too much of it. I eat and I'm stuffed, but they still think I'm not eating enough and ask me how I can be so tall and eat so little, when they eat so much and they are short. LOL!!!! The flowers everywhere are breathtaking... I'm still my mom's flower girl as I take photos everywhere I go. Perhaps I will publish a collection of the flower photos I've taken on this trip. So many evidences of God's love. What a blessed time I'm enjoying here in the Philippines. God is good!]

Tomorrow's Reading: 2 Sam. 21-22 and 1 Cor. 9

No comments:

Post a Comment