Friday, May 18, 2018

Day 138 - Solomon's Sweet Humility like a Child

Today's Reading: 1 Kings 3-5 and 1 Cor. 11

It's hard to know where to begin to make comment on today's Bible reading. In these chapters we see Solomon beginning his reign with the sweet humility of a child. He then asks for wisdom, and God grants it. He judges his first case and everyone marvels. Everyone begins to come to hear his wisdom. And he begins to build the temple... In 1 Corinthians 11, we read more about the call to godly masculinity and Biblical femininity, a partnership, a deference, a service of love, with the ultimate head being Christ.

However, for today's comments, I'm going to focus on 1 Kings 3:7. I think every time I read this story, my heart is grabbed by the sweet humble way that Solomon started his reign. "I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in," he tells the Lord.

A couple days ago in my devotions I read some sobering quotes on pride and humility that really pricked my heart afresh... why, because I recognize my own struggle with pride, especially spiritual pride. Unfortunately, when God humbles me, I then find myself struggling with pride in my humility (LOL!). I know I am not alone in this struggle... It's like the battle over self... you can't win for losing anyway you go because pride/self is so strong. That's why our only hope is clinging to Christ. Only can Christ save us from this deadly cancerous disease that tries to infiltrate every area of our life.

Here's what I read. I think it is very fitting with Solomon's prayer:
"Those who have a humble, trusting, contrite heart, God accepts, and hears their prayer; and when God helps, all obstacles will be overcome. How many men of great natural abilities and high scholarships have failed when placed in positions of responsibility, while those of feebler intellect, with less favorable surroundings, have been wonderfully successful. The secret was: The former trusted to themselves, while the latter united with Him who is wonderful in counsel and mighty in working to accomplish what He will." (Testimonies for the Church vol 4:538, 539.) 
"Will the people of God continue to be so stupefied with selfishness? His blessing hangs over them, but it cannot be bestowed in its fullness because they are so corrupted with the spirit and practices of the world. There is spiritual pride among them; and should the Lord work as His heart longs to do, it would but confirm them in their self-esteem and self-exaltation." – (Ye Shall Receive Power, 290)
Talking about this topic this morning with a friend I realized that while we may always have the struggle, the important thing is to pray that God continues to give us discomfort when we are applauded or highly esteemed because we find ourselves genuinely in fear of stealing the glory from God. As long as we are uncomfortable with the applause, as long as we fear stealing God's glory, then we know God is still working to keep our heart. But the moment we become comfortable with the acclaim, with the success, with the applause of the stage, when we begin looking for the words of affirmation and the esteem of men... then we know we are on a dangerous path, and we must repent lest we fall. Pride always goes before a fall. Sadly... Solomon did not keep this sweet humility, and he eventually fell. (We will read about this in coming chapters!) And it's true for us today as well. Few men or women who achieve great success truly stay humble unless they are very near God! That's why our only safety is to stay at the foot of the cross. As we always keep in mind always WHO He is, we will always remember who we are--Nothing apart from the grace of God!

Like Isaiah let us cry, "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man [woman] of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts." (Isa. 6:5) How desperately we need to be covered and converted by the righteousness of Christ!

Dear Lord, please save us from the disease of pride, especially spiritual pride...

Tomorrow's Reading: 1 Kings 6-7, and 1 Cor. 12

No comments:

Post a Comment