Sunday, May 13, 2018

Day 133 - David Weeps for Absalom

Today's Reading: 2 Sam. 17-18 and Ps. 52-54

Another dark day in Israel. Today we read the tragic story as Absalom finally meets his end. The "would-be-king," who tried to take David's throne, is now hung by his own hair in a tree, and not long after he is killed.

The pain and untold havoc that Absalom created is hard to describe. Because of Absalom's revolt, thousands died. Yet, when David hears news from the battle front, his first question is about Absalom's well being: " 'Is the young man Absalom safe?' Unable to conceal the heavy tidings, the herald answered, 'The enemies of my lord the king, and all that rise against thee to do thee hurt, be as that young man is.' It was enough. David questioned no further, but with bowed head he “went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept:
"Oh my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!" (2 Sam. 18:33)

No one could understand how David could weep so passionately over the one that had sought to destroy Israel. I wonder, perhaps, if this is a small picture of how God weeps over us today, and those who are lost as they try to destroy His kingdom??

Sobering story... raw pain... real life! That's why I love God's Word. It's no fairytale. It tells events as they happened, good, bad, ugly, and real. In our case, Christ did die for us that we do not have to suffer the end that Absalom did... that is good news! If we will only repent and confess our sins and turn to Him...

Tomorrow's reading: 2 Sam. 19-20 and 1 Cor. 8

No comments:

Post a Comment