Thursday, August 02, 2018

Day 214 - A Covenant with the Eyes

Today's Reading: Job 31-32 and Ps. 86-87

In today's reading, I love how Job 31 starts off....

"I made a covenant with my eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?" (Job 31:1)

Further down a few verses, Job says again: My heart has not walked after mine eyes... My heart has not been deceived by a woman... It's like he is re-emphasizing his stand against lusts.

What a powerful lesson and reminder for the men and women of today: and what a rebuke against the  temptations to lusts. Oh that we could take this passage to heart and also make a covenant with our eyes, not just to avoid thinking or looking at impure objects but to avoid looking at sin in any fashion--whether the magazine rack at the check-out counter, worldly signs and billboards, curiosity to browse strange news, or look at strange or worldly things on social media... we all need to make a covenant with our eyes for we live in a day of visual bombardment....

I love Psalm 101:3, "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

May this be our prayer!

Tomorrow's Reading: Job 33-34 and Luke 24

No comments:

Post a Comment