Thursday, August 30, 2018

Day 242 - His Name is Wonderful

Today's Reading: Song 1-2 and Ps. 97-98

Well, it's time to begin the Song of Solomon! The book that all the love-birds love, and all the others try to stay away from... (Well... not quite, but anyway!) Personally, I admit that I haven't read this book for a long time. But wow, I've already been blessed... so much beauty here, even if you don't fit into the former "love-bird" category.

This passage immediately jumped out at me as I read today:

  "Thy name as ointment poured forth..." (Song. 1:3)

You know, when you care about someone, no matter how plain and ordinary their name may have once been, now their name becomes magical... Whenever you hear it spoken, whenever you hear it mentioned in conversation, your heart skips a few beats, and you smile inside... as a gentle glow of warmth fills your thoughts and heart. It's a beautiful part of love. Names I normally would not be attracted to or have ever thought of picking for my children (if I had children) suddenly become the most beautiful names in the world. And it's not just between lovers. I remember how one particular girls name I never really liked. But then I met a girl with that name and she became one of my best friends, and now I think that name is one of the most beautiful in the world. It's not plain and ordinary anymore because it reminds me of HER... and the characteristics that make her beautiful.

You know as I read this passage "Thy name as ointment poured forth," I think of the song, "His name is Wonderful..." Jesus name is wonderful and there's so many names that He has... they are as ointment poured forth...

Here's just a few of His names:
The Son of the living God (Matthew 16:16), Emanuel, God with us (Matthew 1:23), The Almighty, which is, and which was, and which is to come (Revelation 1:8), The Creator of all things (Colossians 1:16), The Alpha and the Omega (Revelation 1:8), The Word (John 1:1), The Word that was with God (John 1:1), The Word that was God (John 1:1), The Savior of the World (1 John 4:14), Messiah (John 4:25), Anointed (Psalm 2:2; Acts 4:27), The Lamb of God (John 1:29), The Way (John 14:6), The Door of the Sheep (John 10:7), The Shepherd of the Sheep (Hebrews 13:20), The Good Shepherd - that laid down his life (John 10:11), The Vine (John 15:5), The Tree of Life (Revelation 2:7), The Corn of Wheat (John 12:24), The Bread of Life (John 6:35), The Hidden Manna (Revelation 2:17), The Light of the world (John 8:12), The Bright and Morning Star (Revelation 22:16), A Refuge from the Storm (Isaiah 25:4), A Covert from the Tempest (Isaiah 32:2), The Rock of Ages (Isaiah 26:4), The Rock that is higher than I (Psalm 61:2), My Rock and my Fortress (Psalm 31:3), A Sure Foundation (Isaiah 28:16), A Living Stone (1 Peter 2:4), Faithful and True (Revelation 19:11), The Truth (John 14:6), Lord of Lords (Revelation 17:14), The Messiah, the Prince (Daniel 9:25), The Prince of Life (Acts 3:15), The King of Kings (Revelation 19:16), My Portion, My Maker, My Husband (Isaiah 54:5), My Well-beloved (Song of Solomon 1:13), My Savior (2 Peter 3:18), My Hope (1 Timothy 1:1), My Brother (Mark 3:35), My Helper (Hebrews 13:6), My Physician (Jeremiah 8:22), My Healer (Luke 9:11), My Refiner (Malachi 3:3), My Purifier (Malachi 3:3), My Lord, Master (John 13:13), My Servant (Luke 12:37), My Example (John 13:15), My Teacher (John 3:2), My Shepherd (Psalm 23:1), My Keeper (John 17:12), My Feeder (Ezekiel 34:23), My Leader (Isaiah 40:11), My Restorer (Psalm 23:3), My Resting-place (Jeremiah 50:6), My Meat(John 6:55), My Drink (John 6:55), My Passover (1 Corinthians 5:7), My Peace (Ephesians 2:14), My Wisdom (1 Corinthians 1:30), My Righteousness (1 Corinthians 1:30), My Sanctification (1 Corinthians 1:30), My Redemption (1 Corinthians 1:30), My All in All (Colossians 3:11), The Bridegroom (Matthew 9:15; Revelation 21:9), The Rose of Sharon (Song of Solomon 2:1), The Lily of the Valley (Song of Solomon 2:1), A Bundle of Myrrh (Song of Solomon 1:13), A Cluster of Henna Blooms (Song of Solomon 1:14)
Truly, His name is as ointment poured forth, a healing balm for our wounded hearts and broken world! His name is wonderful!

*Thanks to Eric and Leslie Ludy for compiling this beautiful list of the Names of Christ... and the list is much more extensive then this! These are just a few...

Tomorrow's Reading: Song. 3-4 and 1 Tim. 4

No comments:

Post a Comment