Sunday, November 25, 2018

Day 329 - But if Not... God is still Good!

Today's Reading: Daniel 1-3 and Ps. 132-134

I love the story from Daniel 3 in today's reading. We find Daniel's three friends facing a great dilemma. Nebuchadnezzar has built himself a huge golden image and has commanded that everyone bow down and worship at the sound of the music. But Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego seem to have missed the cue... They remain standing, and as a result, they should have instantly been killed, but King Nebuchadnezzar gives them another chance... perhaps maybe they did not understand the command or the consequences for disobedience.

So the king gives his directions to them clearly one more time: "Now if ye be ready that at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of music ye fall down and worship the image which I have made; well: but if ye worship not, ye shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace; and who is that God that shall deliver you out of my hands?" (Daniel 3:15)

Look at the challenge he has given to these three men, but especially to their God. I love their brave reply...

"Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter. If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up." (Daniel 3:16-18)

These three men, boldly let it be known that their God was able to deliver them from the burning fiery furnace... BUT EVEN IF HE DID NOT DELIVER, they still would not bow down. 

I love this story and it has encouraged me in my own faith in so many ways. In fact, I remember about 17 years ago when one of my closest friends came down with Colon cancer. The prognosis was dismal, and things did not look good. I was crying as I was driving to the hospital to see her. "Why God, did you allow this to happen to her? She doesn't deserve this! She's healthy... she's even vegan. She does everything right. Why does she have cancer? Why is she going to die?" I sobbed out to God that day. And I remember clearly God speaking to my heart, as if a person was right there in the car with me. "Melody, I'm able to deliver. I'm able to heal. I'm able to save her life, just like I saved the life of Daniel's three friends in the fiery furnace. But even if I don't save her, will you still trust me?" 

More tears rushed down my face... as I cried out to God. "YES LORD! I will trust You! I know You are able to save her life. I know You can intervene, but even if You don't, I will trust You."

Well, thankfully God did intervene. She had surgery, but God blessed and today 17 years later she is still with us, healthy and strong. But I never forgot the lesson I learned that painful day. It's stuck with me through many years and came to me again 2 summers ago when my own mother was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer. I know God can spare her life, but even if He doesn't, I will still trust Him! 

So inspiring to read this story again today!

Tomorrow's Reading: Daniel 4-5 and 1 John 5

No comments:

Post a Comment