Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Day 325 - To Know means Obedience in Love!

Today's Reading: Ezek 42-43 and 1 John 2 

"And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments." (1 John 2:3)

As I read today's passage in 1 John, I think of what it means to be in a love relationship with another. If we love them, we are going to naturally want to do what pleases them, what they ask us to do, what makes them happy... that's evidence of our love. And the same is with our relationship with God. If we truly love Him, we will follow what He asks us to do. We will keep His commandments...

Ellen White writes: "A mere profession of discipleship is of no value. The faith in Christ which saves the soul is not what it is represented to be by many. “Believe, believe,” they say, “and you need not keep the law.” But a belief that does not lead to obedience is presumption. The apostle John says, “He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” 1 John 2:4. Let none cherish the idea that special providences or miraculous manifestations are to be the proof of the genuineness of their work or of the ideas they advocate. When persons will speak lightly of the word of God, and set their impressions, feelings, and exercises above the divine standard, we may know that they have no light in them." (Mount of Blessings, p. 146)

The Bible goes on:

"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." (1 John 2:5-6)

[Glad to finally be with my family again in Arkansas... Just flew home Monday, which means I kinda fell off the bandwagon this morning getting my blog posted... forgive me! But praise the Lord for a breath of fresh air in the Ozarks. I still am working during this time at home, but at least I can be with my family when I'm not working. God is good.]

Tomorrow's Reading: Ezekiel 44-45 and Ps. 129-131

No comments:

Post a Comment