Friday, November 30, 2018

Day 334 - The Door of Hope

Today's Reading: Hosea 1-2 and Jude

In this morning's reading we begin the book of Hosea. Now I've already been studying Hosea with my Bible study group here in Maryland, and so far my honest estimations of this book are a bit depressing. I would hate to have been the prophet Hosea during this time period in Israel's history... but still, even in these difficult chapters, there are bright spots. And we know that God has the book of Hosea in His Word for a purpose... so it is our goal to discover that purpose.

In today's reading we see God calling Hosea to marry a prostitute, because Israel was committing whoredoms with the land. Israel is the Lord's unfaithful wife, and that's what Hosea is to show by his marriage to a prostitute, how the Lord deals with an unfaithful wife. So Hoseas marries Gomer. Each child that Gomer bares, God gives a specific name to, representing a curse that is to fall on Israel. (Like I said, how depressing)

However, even amidst the curses, there is also light at the end of the tunnel, for there is a promise of reconciliation. I love these verses from chapter 2.

"And I will give her her vineyards from thence, and the valley of Achor for a door of hope: and she shall sing there, as in the days of her youth, and as in the day when she came up out of the land of Egypt... And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies. I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the LORD... And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God." (Hosea 2:15,19-20,23)

Even when it seems things could not get worse, and the curses of heaven are falling all around, I see that there is still hope. He is still a God of mercy. There is a door of hope for those who repent and believe.

Ellen White writes the following:
"In the last days of this earth’s history, God’s covenant with His commandment-keeping people is to be renewed... They will turn from every idol that binds them to earth, and will 'worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.' They will free themselves from every entanglement and will stand before the world as monuments of God’s mercy. Obedient to the divine requirements, they will be recognized by angels and by men as those that have kept 'the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.' Revelation 14:12."  (Prophets and Kings, p. 299)
The Lord is our door of Hope! Let's not hesitate. Let's turn from our sin, from our spiritual compromise and walk through that door of Hope today!

Tomorrow's Reading: Hosea 3-6 and Revelation 1

No comments:

Post a Comment