Saturday, November 16, 2013

Distractions!

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart,” He says. “I will be found by you” (Jer. 29:13, 14).

This is how it works:  I open my laptop; I click open Microsoft Word and stare at the screen for about 10 minutes just hoping I can magically create a world of music through words.  Right now I am hoping for something magical to happen yet so far nothing is popping out of the hat.  Let me tell you this, eventually something magical does happen even if it takes moments to see the affects of it.

As I speak I am being constantly interrupted by some ordeal or another without warning.  When something happens I tend to have to deal with the situation right on the spot.  In all honesty that’s okay.  Jesus was interrupted many times, he didn’t seem to mind one bit.  In fact, He found His greatest ministry opportunities when He was interrupted.  Examples would be:  While Jesus praying at night in the Mount of Olives, Nicodemus interrupted Him, or as Jesus spoke in the synagogue one Sabbath a demon possess man cried out interrupting Him.  There are other examples and you can find them throughout the Gospels.


Interruption can also be a negative.   Satan uses unnecessary interruptions to prevent one from spending time with God or reaching out to a certain individual. Interruptions do not need to control us!  Let God control our distractions!

"Lift your gaze up, and up, and up. Let the cares of life and all the hassles and all the distractions-the noise, the rush, the worry-fall away. Cast all your needs and wants, hopes and fears, on the one who loves you with an everlasting love."1  

Here’s the thing… I will tell you one thing.  Don’t let the interruptions of this world take a hold of you, instead take control of the interruptions. 


_________________________________________________
1 Facing Giants, William Johnsson, Adventist Review article

No comments:

Post a Comment