Thursday, May 30, 2013

Do we Beg Christ to Teach us to Pray?


“And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray…” Luke 11:1

One day the disciples, after returning from an errand, found Christ absorbed in deep communion with God. They were awed and as a result, recognized their great need.

“They had marked how often He spent long hours in solitude in communion with His Father. His days were passed in ministry to the crowds that pressed upon Him, and in unveiling the treacherous sophistry of the rabbis, and this incessant labor often left Him so utterly wearied that His mother and brothers, and even His disciples, had feared that His life would be sacrificed. But as He returned from the hours of prayer that closed that toilsome day, they marked the look of peace upon His face, the sense of refreshment that seemed to pervade His presence. It was from hours spent with God that He came forth, morning by morning, to bring the light of heaven to men. The disciples had come to connect His hours of prayer with the power of His words and works. Now, as they listened to His supplication, their hearts were awed and humbled. As He ceased praying, it was with a conviction of their own deep need that they exclaimed, “Lord, teach us to pray.” Prayer, p. 290

Do we beg Christ to teach us to pray today, or do we assume, growing up in Christian homes or having attended Christian schools or the seminary, that we already know how, and so we devote our time to learning more important skills? Christ spent most of His life preaching, and He knew the disciples would do the same. Yet, it's interesting that, while Christ gave the subject matter for preaching (it was His life), He never specifically taught His disciples how to preach, except by His example. And yet, He took the time to teach them about prayer. I think He knew that it was more important that they know how to talk to God effectively than that they knew how to talk to man effectively, because He knew that if they had power with God, they would have power with men!

Often, although I am passionate about prayer, I find myself at Jesus feet begging that He will teach me to pray. I often feel so week and feeble and inadaquate when I consider the spiritual battle at hand. Why should I be ashamed of this? This is where we all are. Yet I am encouraged that Christ promises to give us JUST what we need day by day. 

So let us ask Him again today, "Lord, teach us to pray… take us deeper today!"

Review:
  • Bible Thought: Learning to pray more effectively always starts with recognizing our need. May our prayer be today, "Lord teach us to pray!"
  • Blessing: I think God allows me to see my own frailties so I will stay dependent upon Him. He's reminded me of a few recently, and for this, I am thankful. ;-)
  • Battles: To stay on my knees, even when all my instincts say, get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment