Monday, May 20, 2013

Heaven's Family Reunion

Do you ever stop and think about what Heaven will be like? When I was young I use to think about it all the time…and I do still even today. Of course, the most exciting thing is that Jesus will be there. But I think the second most exciting thing is that we will be with our families and loved ones. 

Yesterday we had a lot of friends gathering for a "family reunion" as we celebrated my grandma's life. Yes, there were tears, but it was a memorial of HOPE, as we have the resurrection to look forward to. I can't wait until that heavenly family reunion when we will all be together in person.

The Bible tells us:

“For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.” 1 Thes. 4:16-18

At the close of the program, I played a song "The Family Reunion" that I put together with pictures for my grandma. (If you've ever lost a loved one, or are homesick for heaven, you will really appreciate this song!) But it wasn't just that. In this slide show, I also shared a final message that my grandma recorded for her family….months before she died. I thought some of you, even if you didn't know her, would enjoy seeing this! (It's short!)


Blessings on all as you start a new week!

Review:
  • Bible Thought: Looking forward to when Christ shall descend from Heaven with a shout to take all of us home.
  • Blessings: That we have this HOPE!
  • Battles: That we not let go of Christ, for if we hold on to Him, trusting in His blood, we will be part of this heavenly family reunion very soon!

5 comments:

  1. Brought tears to my eyes. We just lost my husband's dear cousin last week from an accident and the grief and loss more often than not weigh us down. Thank God for His wonderful promise that very soon He'll take us home and we'll be reunited with our loved ones who have gone before us and Forever live with Him. Can't wait for that day! Thank you for sharing your Grandma's memorial video .Truly inspired and blessed me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Melody,
    that is such a hope for those with a believing family, but what about us others with a non-believing family? When I think of heaven, yes I can't wait to see Jesus and be united with all my believing friends and that sin is gone. But there is also a huge sadness that maybe none of my family members will be there. Thinking of heaven is not just joy for me, it's also sadness. If this is understandable. Maybe this is a little insight of how God will feel in heaven: missing part of his children and at the same time being incredibly happy about the other part that is there.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts every day! I am really happy for you having a believing family!

    Lots of love and blessings,
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Kerstin, I hear you. :-(((( I don't think we understand how painful the loss of a single soul is to God, let alone to the believing loved ones of that soul. I actually DO have family members and friends that have died without Christ. I also have family members alive that are NOT Christians (at this point) and I have such heaviness of heart that they may not be in Heaven with us. Of course, I'm still praying desperately that they will change course, but I know God will not take anyone there who would not be happy in His presence. I personally grieve at the thought of being in Heaven without them… however, I just have to believe that ultimately what God says in His Word is true. Like in Rev. 21:4. "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." While we will be sad initially, I think eventually all that pain and the sad memories from earth will be wiped away. And Kerstin, this may not sound comforting here and now, but if your earthly family is not in Heaven, God will give you a new family. You won't be alone in your love of Him anymore! However, if any of these loved ones are still alive, PRAY PERSISTENTLY that God will yet save them. I keep claiming 2 Pet 3:9, as well as Matt 18:14. I KNOW it IS God's WILL to save them, so I keep praying that He will yet do it…and they will surrender their hearts!!!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment! And especially for the bible texts and the encouragement to pray persistently! Please excuse me for thinking I am alone and you don't have the same experience! That was really stupid. From now on I claim the two texts (they are beautiful) and want to trust God that no matter what happens with my family he is my only true and ever lasting goal. Your post was indeed comfortable here and now. If he says heaven will be the place that I ever longed for then why not trust him. That doesn't make me loving my family less. Hopefully I can learn to trust God more and at the same time pray more for my family. My thoughts are with you and your burden!

      Kerstin

      Delete