Saturday, May 11, 2013

Where is YOUR Treasure?


A week or so ago, I wrote about my grandmother's death. As mother's day approaches, I wanted to share something more about her life! I share this as my "Morning Sonshine" in hopes that it will inspire and encourage you…for my grandmother truly was a Morning Sunshine to so many, as she reflected Christ!

My grandmother was always active, and always reaching out to others. From the time I was very small, I remember her taking me around the community visiting this person or that one. She especially would visit shut-ins and those that lived alone, bringing them songs, sunshine, and cheer. She was always reaching out to the needy and she would give the shirt off her back to help someone, if she needed.  

As I got older, she would take me on adventure picnics, sing songs with me, and tell me stories of days gone by. After all, she was born in 1924, so she'd been around a few years. (Including both World Wars, and the Great Depression!)

There's something else my grandmother was. She was a prolific writer. (Maybe this is where I got my love of writing!) She didn't write stories and things like I do though, but she wrote letters of encouragement, and she sent verses of encouragement out to anyone that she thought needed cheering. (I use to do this, and I need to do it more!) Believe it or not, she mailed her last 10 letters of encouragement to absent church members just two weeks ago - yep, the week before she died, she was still writing letters of encouragement. 

Something else that may be of interest is that in the past several years she has transcribed, copied by hand, the entire Bible books of Ruth, Esther, Psalms, Proverbs, Isaiah, Daniel, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Colossians, Ephesians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, James, Jude and Revelation. (I didn't even realize the magnitude of what she had written out until we were going through her stuff this week and sorting things to save or give away!) These Bible books remain in 9 notebooks of 80 pages each, copied neatly on both sides. Her last entry of the week before she died was Matthew 6:20-24 which includes the passage: "For where your treasure is there will your heart be also."

I know where my grandma's Treasure was, because that's where her heart was also! All over her room and desk were pictures of Christ. She loved Christ, she talked of Christ, she shared Christ with others. 

Sometimes when I was young, I thought she talked about Him too much, but now I realize that she understand what the Gospel truly was. (Something I am still trying to learn. I'll blog about this more on Monday!) 

My grandmother was not a saint, she had her struggles and trials, as we all do. But her hope was in Christ and in this Hope and peace, she went to rest. But her memory and her legacy lives on, and I pray it will challenge all of us to seek FIRST the things of Heaven, for where your Treasure is there will YOUR heart be also!

Review:
  • Bible Thought: Let's remember first things first…to love God and to love each other! This is how my grandma lived! 
  • Blessing: I'm so thankful for the gift of her life…now that it's gone, I continue to mourn the loss…but I am so thankful for the hope of the Resurrection when we will all be reunited again!
  • Battles: I love to write too…But I've spent a lot of my earlier years writing about trivial things…I pray that my life and focus can be like my Grandmothers, to love others and to love Christ and bring others to Christ. I know that the enemy's battle is to keep me from this, but with Christ, all things are possible!  

No comments:

Post a Comment