Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Coming Storm…

Last night I didn't sleep very well. As lightning and thunder shook the heavens and wind, rain and hail pelted down on my roof, threatening to move my house from its foundation, I thought about the many that had already lost their homes, and sometimes their loved ones in this very same storm. (My heart and prayers go out to them.)

However, today as I look at the pictures of devastation that cover Moore Oklahoma (and their surrounding communities), I'm reminded about another storm that is coming. A much bigger and more scary storm…a storm that is going to tear much of professing Christianity from its foundation.

"For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober." 1 Thes. 5:3-6


Here's a couple passages I was just reading this morning about the coming storm.

"God has revealed what is to take place in the last days, that His people may be prepared to stand against the tempest of opposition and wrath. Those who have been warned of the events before them are not to sit in calm expectation of the coming storm, comforting themselves that the Lord will shelter His faithful ones in the day of trouble. We are to be as men waiting for their Lord, not in idle expectancy, but in earnest work, with unwavering faith. It is no time now to allow our minds to be engrossed with things of minor importance. While men are sleeping, Satan is actively arranging matters so that the Lord’s people may not have mercy or justice." Counsels for the Church, p. 335

"Soon God’s people will be tested by fiery trials, and the great proportion of those who now appear to be genuine and true will prove to be base metal. Instead of being strengthened and confirmed by opposition, threats, and abuse, they will cowardly take the side of the opposers. The promise is, “Them that honor me I will honor.” Shall we be less firmly attached to God’s law because the world at large have attempted to make it void? Already the judgments of God are abroad in the land, as seen in storms, in floods, in tempests, in earthquakes, in perils by land and by sea. The great I AM is speaking to those who make void his law. When God’s wrath is poured out upon the earth, who will then be able to stand? Now is the time for God’s people to show themselves true to principle. When the religion of Christ is most held in contempt, when his law is most despised, then should our zeal be the warmest and our courage the most unflinching. To stand in defense of truth and righteousness when the majority forsake us, to fight the battles of the Lord when champions are few,—this will be our test. At this time we must gather warmth from the coldness of others, courage from their cowardice, and loyalty from their treason. The nation will be on the side of the great rebel leader." Review and Herald,  January 11, 1887

Review: 
  • Bible Thought: We know from the Bible that destruction is coming upon the earth, and more so, as Jesus coming draws near. However, we are not in ignorance. We are children of light. Let us watch and be sober, and not miss the warning signs of impending doom!
  • Blessing: I praise the Lord that my family in Oklahoma are safe, although they were only miles from some of the tornadoes that hit yesterday. I also praise God that the hail did not destroy our garden last night.
  • Battles: Today more storms are expected. Even as I type, thunder and lightning are shaking my desk. I praise God that I'm never alone even in the storms.

1 comment:

  1. Your comments coincide with the Dwight Nelson sermon I watched last night from 2012 The dark night rises part 1. His comments as yours.make me realize how short time is and the people around me need Jesus as I do more and more

    ReplyDelete