Friday, May 31, 2013

What are YOU doing Here??

Elijah had just had tremendous victory on Mount Carmel, had seen fire come down from heaven, and had had victory over Baal, and yet when he finds out that the Queen Jezebel is after his head, he runs for His life.

How similarly do we react today. We see God work in mighty ways, we see Him part the red sea, and work a great victory, and then we hear some bad news, and we go running for safety, wondering why He even allows us to live another day! And so Elijah finally ends up…. in a cave, of all places… he's hiding.

"And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?" 1 Kings 19:9


Have you ever had God ask you that question? "Just look at what I've done for you. I've vindicated my name, I've delivered you over and over again, and now you are hiding and having a pity party. What are you doing here? What about the work I called you to do?"

Well, recently I was having my own little pity party, feeling sorry for the burdens I'm bearing and wishing for another task, and it was like I could hear God's voice telling me, "Mel, what are you doing here? If I've brought you this far, do you think my work has been in vain? Why would you doubt me now?"

"Ok God, I get the message! I guess I need to get out of this cave of self-pity and get back to work."

As I move forward, I'm reminded of the simple but profound promise: "For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee." Isa. 41:13

Let us move forward, holding His hand today! Whatever cave we may be hiding in, it's time to get out and get going! Even if you are melancholy tendencies and weakness like me, you have no excuse to stay. :-)


Review:

  • Bible Thought: If God calls you to a task, a mission, a place, don't run away, even when bad news comes. He will help you, just as He's helping me.
  • Blessings: So thankful for a long-suffering patient God that endures all our backsliding pity parties and yet so patiently encourages us forward. :-)
  • Battles: To keep moving forward even when I feel like running away!

1 comment:

  1. So true. ISA 41:10 goes along perfectly with your ISA 41:13.

    I like 1 CHR 11:11 The story Jashobeam as a good example of standing your ground in a battle.

    ReplyDelete