Monday, May 13, 2013

The Gospel is NOT just Basic - it's the fullness of everything there is to know!!!!

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures." 1 Cor 15:1-4

I want to correct an error of statement that I made. (Yep, although in earnest and very sincere, even I am not above making errors! I hope my friends will forgive me.) When I was blogging about the gospel last week, I wrote, "Of course, this may seem rather elementary to some. After all, the GOSPEL is something we've grown up reading and hearing about our entire lives, right?? But all too often, I think that we Christian's can forget the basics, or the basics don't touch us, because we've known them from childhood!"

I think the problem with Christianity in this modern age is precisely this… and I am just as guilty as everyone else! We all too often look at the gospel as merely the first step of our faith. We look at it as just a BASIC! We consider it elementary and then we move on to deeper theology and truths. I have thought that myself or I wouldn't have made the statements that I just did. But the more I am re-studying this precious truth, the more I am aware of my own errors. I have minimized the power of the gospel. I have minimized the truth of the gospel! I have minimized the gift of the gospel! I have minimized the Savior of the Gospel. I honestly am not even sure that I have understand the magnificence of the gospel…and yet I profess to believe and preach the gospel! "Oh woe is me!" 1 Cor. 9:16


I love the Lord with all my heart, and I rely upon His blood and His atoning work to stand in my place. But I still think sometimes I am missing something. I just don't get it. I have to admit that my dulled senses sometimes need some extra pushing and prodding before I awaken to my need. And that came by picking up a book my brother had purchased called The Gospel's Power and Message, by Paul Washer. Here's a statement he shares in his first few chapters that I think is worth repeating:

"The gospel is not merely an introductory message to Christianity - it is the message of Christianity. It is the message of salvation, the means of our progress toward sanctification, and the pristine fountain from which flows every pure and right motivation for the Christian life. For the believer, Jesus is the Manna that comes down from Heaven, the Rock that gushes forth living water in the midst of a desert, and the Vine in which he remains, and from which he receives life and fruitfulness. The believer who has truly partaken of Christ ceases to spend himself for what is not bread and cannot satisfy, but seeks to eat only that bread that comes from Heaven that he may eat and not die" 

Unfortunately, this isn't the way that we often treat the gospel…It's all too often, just the cherry on the cake, when in reality, the gospel is the cake. It's not just something that adds flavor to our Christianity, but it is the basis of Christianity. It's so much more than I've thought or given it credit for! So much more…

Well, I'm not going to try to share the truth and grandeur of this gift in this short blog post… I couldn't even if I wanted to, because I don't understand or comprehend it yet, as I should. But I do see my need! Praise the Lord for that!!! Maybe it's just me… and maybe I'm all alone in this error. But I think we as Christians need to seriously revisit this issue and make it more our focus and our message. What is the Gospel and what does it truly mean! Do we understand this great gift? I'm praying God will make this the focus of my life and study, and that the beauty of this gospel will pervade everything else that I share. 

Review:
  • Bible Thought: The Gospel is not just a basic theory…it is to be our life and study! It is the fullness of all we should build upon, the Rock that we anchor to!
  • Blessing: I don't understand it as I should, but I'm so thankful God is bringing me back to this important truth again! 
  • Battle: I think the devil would be just happy if we had all the religion and Christianity we wanted as long as we don't understand the gospel. Why? Because the Gospel is the power of God to salvation. This is so key! We have to get this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment