Saturday, August 03, 2013

#5 - Don't get Distracted!


#5: When you get up, don’t get distracted!
I believe this is one of the biggest keys in starting off your devotional time right. Don’t get distracted!

It is so important when you first get up that you refrain from checking your e-mails, text messages, Facebook account, or any other electronic communication data that you are involved with. Avoid turning on the radio, television or any distracting noise that would pull your attention from God.

In the modern world we have so much electronic stimulation at our finger tips constantly just begging for our immediate attention: whether it’s thru computers, iPods, smart phones, CD players, radios, gamming devices, and countless other gadgets, that it can be hard to focus spiritually. But somehow, with God’s help, rather than all these devices becoming our master, we need to learn to master them.

If the many electronic and social networking distractions in your life have thrown things out of control, to really get a grip and turn things around, it might be necessary for a time to fast from certain media or electronic activities. It might be good to deactivate your Facebook account for a time, and set strict standards for your e-mail and Internet usage. For those of us that work full time in ministry, most of our communication is done online. So it’s not feasible to shut this down. However, we must make boundaries even over this that safeguard our time with God.

I realize this isn’t feasible for everyone, but since I have a land line, when I’m home, I always turn my cell phone on “airplane mode” when I go to sleep at night, so I wont be tempted to start texting family or friends when I first wake up in the morning. I want my first conversation and communication of the day to be with God. I don’t turn it back on until I’ve finished my devotions and am ready to start my day.

When I’m traveling, this is different of course, as I want my loved ones to be able to reach me if there’s an emergency. However, I still seek to avoid entering into non-emergent conversations or replying to text messages until I’ve had that sacred time with God. Making this practical daily priority has made a huge difference on the quality of our time together, because God knows He comes first and He’s the most important Person in my life.

If possible, I think it’s also important to minimize your interaction with friends or family until you’ve met with God. Of course, for the mothers or fathers reading this, it’s obvious that you can’t turn children off…so if you have young children, the goal should be to wake up before they do. But if you don’t, you may need to work out a plan with your spouse so that you take turns getting your undistracted quiet time with God, or make opportunities when the little ones are napping or playing to have this time. It may not be perfect, but God will reward your efforts and make you even more effective and efficient with the remaining time you have. Just do the best you can with where you are.

Also, if you find your prayer and study time being distracted by your large to-do list or by random thoughts that pop into your mind, instead of feeling guilty about these things, just take a second and jot them down on a separate sheet of paper so you can remember them after your quiet time is over. Then turn your attention back to your time with God. And you don’t have to be stressed about trying to “not forget” until after you are finished.

If you take this undistracted time for God each day, He will reward you…above and beyond your greatest expectations!!

No comments:

Post a Comment