Sunday, August 04, 2013

#6 - Make a Plan and be consistent! (Part I)

#6: Make a plan and be consistent!

While we need to always be open to the Holy Spirit’s promptings, I think it’s important to have a tentative plan each day of how you are going to spend your time with God. That way you don’t get distracted trying to figure out what to read or study when you wake up. Of course, as long as you are taking time for daily prayer and Bible study, I don’t think there is a wrong or right way of having your devotions. But for those that need some pointers, let me share how I typically have devotions.

Prayer Time
I like to begin with my prayer time as it gets me in the attitude of worship and surrender before I begin more in depth study or reading of God’s Word.

I usually start my prayer by taking time in adoration and worship, not only through praying the Psalms, but through singing praise songs and worship songs to God. Since I live alone and don’t have roommates, I can do this without distracting anyone. When traveling, I will sing and pray while I drive or walk. While I know that my attempts to worship God fall so short of what the angels do, making dedicated time for worship during my morning devotions has brought me so much closer to God.

Next, before I give God my requests, I take time to confess my known sins as I don’t want anything between me and Him to block my prayers. 

I often pray with my Bible open before me, so I can claim the promises as I pray. I also take time going through specific prayer requests, which I’ve written down on little flash cards and placed on a key ring. (This way, I can carry them easily with me wherever I go throughout my day, whether shopping or walking, and I don’t forget anything.) On one side of the card is my request, and on the other side of the card is a Bible verse to support the request. When the prayer is answered, I take the card off the ring and put it in a jar on my shelf. It’s fun and encouraging to see the jar fill up as God answers prayers. (I also journal and put prayer request in notebooks. Both methods are great at helping you remember!)

I think we do need to guard against getting stuck in our box just praying our own prayers when God may have something He wants to lay on our hearts. Because of this, I’m always asking God who and what He wants me to pray for each day. As a result, He lays many different people and things on my heart. So my prayer time is not so structured that I can’t break away. I have a plan, but God often takes me out of my box and out of my agenda and gives me a different plan. And I’ve been learning to embrace that joyfully.

Tomorrow I'll talk about my Bible study time…

No comments:

Post a Comment