Monday, October 14, 2013

Angels In Action--The Mission Field



    The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and delivers them.  Psalms 34:7
    
    Praise the Lord for angels!  God has given us angels to guide and guard our journey in this life.  In fact, I find myself feeling very unworthy when I realize God sent an angel to warn, protect, or guide me in different situations.
    
      No I have never seen my angel, and I am not hoping nor looking for opportunities to see him either.  BUT I have sense him near me at different times.  
     
    While in Turkey, one of my young boys, whom I was caring for, asked me question after question about God, about who Jesus is, when Jesus is coming back, what heaven is like, etc.  As we talked, I felt like I was in a room full of angels.  I can not describe to you the overwhelming presence in the room that day.  It was as if Jesus was there, yet I could not see Him nor the angels that were with Him.  I have never experienced anything remotely similar since than. 
 
    Let us remember that angels are created beings.  My intention is not for you to glorify the angels at work, but to see how amazing God is through the working of His angels.  "Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?"  Hebrews 1:14
    
    As you read the following stories, may your heart grow fonder for your King and Savior.


-->Martin and his daddy crossed the border and drove slowly through the city. Martin was not yet 3, and this was just a fun trip for him; but his daddy’s heart was beating fast. Carefully he scanned the people along the road until his eyes met those of the young man he was looking for. They didn’t smile or wave, but they knew each had seen the other.

     Martin and his daddy slowly drove through several streets and finally stopped near one of the city parks. They walked to a little kiosk, bought some drinks, then sat at an empty table. By the time the young man sauntered up and sat down, Martin was running and playing in the park.

     The sun was shining, but a cold chill settled over Daddy’s heart as he watched a group of men walk up and sit at a nearby table. They didn’t seem to be there for any purpose, but they kept watching as he and the young man talked for one hour, two hours.

     Three hours later, as Martin’s daddy and the young man finally got up from the table, the group of men got up also. Slowly the two walked toward the stairs leading out of the park. The men followed. Martin ran over and took his daddy’s hand, and together they climbed the steps out of the park and walked toward their car, trying to act nonchalant.

     As they left the border crossing, Martin’s daddy finally started to breathe easily again. By the time they reached their fifth-floor apartment the shaking in his legs was almost gone. Then, when they opened the door to the apartment, Martin dropped his daddy’s hand and ran 
into the house shouting, “Mommy, I saw angels! Mommy, I saw angels!”

      Mommy knelt down beside him and 
said, “Really, Martin? Where did you see angels?” She thought he was remembering 
the angels they talked about in Sabbath 
school a few days earlier.


“On the steps, Mommy, standing on the 
steps in the park.”

    
     Mommy looked at Daddy. Daddy collapsed into a chair, his heart pounding again as he realized what had happened. Now he knew why the men had followed him to only the 
bottom of the stairs and suddenly turned and walked away.

  
     Martin’s parents are missionaries living and working in a difficult part of the 10/40 window. They are a young family with two small children. Because of the sensitivity of the work they do, their picture and names cannot be used here.

    
     The church doesn’t just send missionaries to the easy parts of the world. Because we take seriously the gospel commission to carry the good news to every man, woman, and child on earth, Adventist missionaries often find themselves in challenging, even dangerous, situations. They appreciate knowing you support them with your prayers.--Homer Trecartin

-->The local police caught me praying and worshiping with a group of new believers. They tied me up and questioned me in front of all the onlookers. When I did not answer them, they hit me over and over again with bamboo poles. Then they dragged me over to a pickup truck and threw me in the back. They drove deep into the jungle. They must have thought I would be disoriented and have no chance of survival. Around midnight they tossed me out of the truck and drove off. The sounds of the forest and the darkness made my heart race. As I lay on the forest floor, I felt warm blood running down my back. I felt half alive and half dead. Thoughts of wild animals coming to feast on my body filled my mind. I closed my eyes tightly and cried to God, “Loving Father, please save me!”
   

    Then an amazing thing happened. My body lifted from the ground and I sensed I was flying in the air. When I opened my eyes, I looked around bewilderingly and to my surprise, I discovered that I was sitting on a familiar downtown street in my own neighborhood. “Was this a dream?” I wondered. No, it was real. I believe I was carried on angels’ wings safely home that night. I went back to sharing Jesus as soon as I could after this incident. Those who witnessed me being beaten were amazed that I survived. They wanted to know more about this God who had the power to save my life through an angel. 
   
     In another area of Vietnam, where the authorities are also unfriendly to Christians, an ethnic people group resides, called the Montagnards. The government tightly controls the travel to this restricted area. An ASAP lay pastor who attempted to enter the area was caught and warned never to return. 
   
     After making a second attempt to enter this area, he disappeared never to be seen again. After this, Pastor Isah Young, leader of the SDA house church movement, realized it is too risky to send workers in there. A point was made to begin a prayer campaign for the salvation of these ethnic people and for God to open a way to reach them.
     
    About three years later, God opened the way for a couple to enter this area by crossing the border into a neighboring country and entering from there. They came back with the following report: A tall stranger with a radiant face had appeared to some village chiefs and had given them a radio. 
   
     Furthermore, he gave the village chief instructions, not only on how to use the radio, but also how to find a particular program that he encouraged them to listen. Then he disappeared. That program turned out to be ASAP’s Peace and Happiness beamed in by Adventist World Radio. The people listened to Pastor Isah Young preach the Word of God and became Sabbath-keeping believers. This happened not just to one village, but to twenty villages in that region. These people know that the stranger was an angel sent by God because of earnest prayer for the Montagnards’ salvation.--Ai Hang**Name has been changed for the protection of God's worker.**

--> Alice Zarate was new in the literature ministry when it happened.  Magazine workers in the Philippines usually made their calls two by two.  But on this particular day it was neessary for her to work alone, and for that reason she prayed especially for both guidance and protection.
     
    She was working in an area where the people were quite prejudiced against the type of work she was doing.  As she approached a large house, she was met at the door by two large German police dogs followed by their owner.  The owner seemed surprised that the dogs were so silent and calm, and she invited Alice in.
     
    So far the story is not unusual.  But imagine, if you can, how Alice felt when the lady of the house placed two chairs instead of one, as if for two visitors!  More than that, the lady addressed the second chair as id someone were sitting there.  And Alice seemed to hear a quiet voice talking with the lady about the magazine!
     
    Apparently whoever was in the second chair excused herself, and the lady accompanied her to the door.  Then she remarked to Alice that her companion looked becoming in white.  She asked about her religion, and Alice told her that she was a Seventh-day Adventist.
     
   She wanted to tell her hostess that she really was working alone.  But under the circumstances it just didn't seem appropriate.  
    
    The visitor in white must have returned, for the lady of the house now invite them both to stay for lunch.  She set two places for her visitors.  And when Alice stole a glance at the other place setting she saw that half of the glass of milk was gone, and half the slice of bread!
     
    As Alice left the home, the owner placed a friendly hand on her shoulder, and it appeared that the other hand was placed on the shoulder of a person at her side.
     
    Alice never did see her companion, but she remembered these words found in 'Gospel Workers', page 515:  "Those who labor for the good of others are working in union with the heavenly angels.  They have their constant companionship, their unceasing ministry."--Adapted from the book 'It Must Have Been An Angel"

    Before I close, I would like to share with you my all time favorite story that involves Jesus.  This story happened to a well known christian woman author and took place here in the States over a hundred years ago.  I know this is out of sync with the rest of the stories I shared with you this morning.  But  I love this story because Jesus is in it.  It is a story that brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.  May you enjoy it:  "On one occasion, I was suffering with rheumatism in my left side and could not get any rest because of the pain.  I turned side to side trying to get comfortable but it was of no use.  I was having pain in my chest as well.  Finally I was able to fall asleep.  Around 9:30, that night, I decided to turn on my other side, and as I did so, I realized I was entirely free from the pain I had experienced earlier.
    
    As I observed my surroundings, I noticed the room was filled with light, the most beautiful soft purplish blue light and I seemed to be in the arms of heavenly beings.  I felt so peaceful and calm.  I raised myself into a sitting position on the bed and I saw that I was surrounded by a bright cloud.  The cloud was as white as snow and the edges of it were tinged with a deep pink.  The softest, sweetest music was filling the air, and I recognized the music as the singing of the angels.  Than a Voice spoke to me, saying "Fear not; I am your Savior.  Holy angels are all around you."--Truth About Angels, p.260  (Text transitioned into modern english.)
   
 NOTE:  Due to my busy schedule right now, my friend, Chelsey, is the contributor to today's "Morning Sonshine" thought.  Thank you Chelsey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment