Sunday, September 15, 2013

Do you know HOW to be ALONE??


More thoughts from the sermon, "The Biblical Call to Holiness" by Paul Washer

"When I became a Christian and felt the call of God to ministry, an old preacher saved my life. He took me in His office and He said, “Boy, do you know how to be alone?” I said, “Well, well what do you mean?” He replied. “Well you said that God has called you to be His man. Is that true?” “Well yes sir, I feel I’m called.” “No that’s not what I said. You are either His man or you aren’t called! Now do you know how to be alone?” I looked at him, “Well, what do you mean?” He continued. “Do you know how to separate yourself from the college group. When your friends go skiing, will you go out into the dessert and pray? And while they are going to all their little tiny conferences to get psyched up and enthused for about a week, and then allow the fire to go out afterwards because it’s not of God, will you stay awake and pray for hours? When they are sleeping because they watched too much Television, or had too much fellowship, will you be burning the midnight oil reading [the Bible]? Do you know how to go into a room and walk away from everybody and just be alone with God? That will be the key to your ministry. But beware boy, because you’ll be alone all your life. And often times the only one standing with you will be God.”

We seek out so much Christian fellowship. We need to seek out the fellowship of God. And we do that by knowing His Word. God is exalted in His Word with His name. You can’t know God apart from His Word.  God has reveled Himself, He has spoken. Through His Son. And look at how His Son treated the Word. He honored it with His life. He fulfilled it, and He told us to obey it. You can’t know holiness unless you know God’s Word. You just can’t. You just can’t!

To listen to the sermon OR read the document I typed up of the sermon, plus some additional thoughts, click one of the following links!

2 comments:

  1. The whole world will then receive sentence. Of all the question will be asked, "Have you diligently studied the Word of God that you might know the will of God, that you might be enabled to understand the difference between sin and righteousness?" .—Letter 363, September 15, 1904, to her son Edson White.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this with us. I listened to the sermon this am. I'll have those words ringing in my ears as I pack to move on. Good timing. May God help to apply this counsel in every practical way.

    ReplyDelete