Wednesday, July 31, 2013

#2 - Find a Solitary Place…

#2: Find your own sacred solitary place to meet with God.

In Mark 1:35 we are told, “And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he [Christ] went out and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.” In another place we are told, “But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.” (Matt. 6:5,6)

If possible, it’s helpful to have your own personal solitary place [or closet] where you meet with God each day. It might be a favorite chair by your fireplace, or it might be outside under the stars. It might also be literally in a closet where prying eyes don’t see.

Of course, there’s nothing magic about a place. After all, God is not confined within walls or space. He goes with us wherever we go. The point is, if you have a designated appointment spot, it’s easier to focus than if you have no plan and are moving randomly about. Having a place that’s special between you and God, that is clean and uncluttered, and peaceful (as much as possible), will help you remain distracted, so you can make the most of your time with Him.

When I’m home, my favorite place is my bed where I can look out the window and see the stars or watch the morning sunrise. I also love to go outside and spend time with God in nature. However, since the I spend so much traveling, my location is constantly changing. And in that case, I just make the best with what I have wherever I am. But making sure I have solitary time alone with Him each day, no matter where I am, is what gives me strength to move forward each day!

At our last ARME Bible Camp, a group of us girls were all staying together in this cabin. I put blankets and sheets around my bunk bed and made myself a little secret hide-away. Everyone thought it was cute, but it was my little haven, in the midst of chaos to get alone with God. So learning to be creative and intentional goes a long way for preserving this sacred time, wherever I go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment