Thursday, July 04, 2013

What is FREEDOM anyway?

In the West we celebrate FREEDOM on this special holiday! We often eat watermelon and ice-cream, watch parades, and then enjoy fireworks at night. The best fireworks I've ever seen, I watched over the St. Louis arch during the General Conference World Session in 2005! 

One year, while still living in California, I made the 4th of July cake pictured on the left, and we had a beautiful picnic with friends. As I go back and look at pictures, it makes me want to do something special again. Most likely though, I'll be spending this special 4th of July holiday alone at home quietly writing. No fireworks, no cake! (But it's ok.)

It's kinda strange how we get to celebrate freedom every year when so many in our world are NOT free! Statistics tell us that there are over 27 million modern day slaves…and I expect that they don't even tell half the story!


 MODERN DAY SLAVERY
27 million people are enslaved worldwide.
80% of the victims are women and children.
Every 30 seconds, another person becomes a victim of slavery.
99% of slaves are not rescued out…yet. 

I don't know how to comprehend the issues we are dealing with in our world. It seems to me the only answer is that we need Jesus to return….and soon! 

But there are other issues many in the church are not even aware of. Many are slaves of sin, guilt, shame, doubt, fear, insecurity, and more. Many, while acknowledging Christ as their Savior, do not allow Him to truly set them free!

As we consider what it means to be FREE on this 4th of July, I want to direct your attention to one of my favorite YouTubes, the Gospel, by Eric Ludy. This is powerful!


The Bible tells us, "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Christ has come to set the captives free! Both in and outside the church. But those of us in the church can't help those outside the church until we are free ourselves. So let's turn to Jesus and allow Him to truly set us FREE!!! Whatever is holding you captive, give it to Christ and be FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment