Tuesday, July 02, 2013

God cares about the little details…even punch bowls!

This past weekend, as I was preparing for my cabin dedication (Yep, I dedicate every new home to God just like most people dedicate babies to God!), I went to town for some things I needed. One thing I needed/wanted was a nice "punch bowl." It may seem kinda strange, but that morning I actually prayed to God and asked Him, "I really don't want to waste any money. If it would be possible, could you help me find a nice punch bowl really cheap at Goodwill? I know this is a strange request, but I know that you care about the details of our lives, and I don't want to waste your resources on something fancy. But I really want do something special for my house dedication gathering."

Well, the first place I stopped in town that morning was the Goodwill, and believe it or not, practically the first thing I saw when I walked in was this large beautiful punch bowl with 12 cups. (A complete set!) And of course, at a dirt cheap price!

However… I didn't buy it. My mind began to doubt. Maybe there will be a nicer one at Wal-Mart or another kitchen store or something. I should look a little more before I buy this, even though it's really cheap. So… I left the punch bowl and went and did other shopping. I don't know what I was thinking, because God had obviously answered my prayer. But then I second guessed myself, thinking, maybe, just maybe, I'd find something better somewhere else. 

Well… I didn't! And as a result, I wasted 20 minutes driving clear back across town to the Goodwill to retrieve that original punch bowl, which was by far the nicest and cheapest of anything! (Praise God it was still there!)

So God answered my prayer… !!! It just took me a bit to act on His answer!! ;-)

Reflecting on all this, isn't it interesting how when God answers our prayers and puts the object that we've been praying for right before our eyes, sometimes we still don't see it??!! It's like we are blind or something, or the enemy is getting us to doubt God's answer! We think maybe we can do better than what God has placed before us and we keep looking and searching. We prayed, and He answered, but we still question. Isn't that strange?

Thankfully, the gift He gave me waited until I returned. But that isn't always the case. If there's something you've been praying for, don't miss the obvious in front of you. God may have already answered your prayers and you didn't even know it! 

The Bible tells us: "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed." James 1:5,6

No comments:

Post a Comment