Friday, April 19, 2013

Am I willing to climb a Tree?

God has definitely been calling me out of my comfort zone lately. At first, I was really concerned about what "others" would think of me, but I must admit, that concern is growing less and less.

As God calls me to go out on a "limb" for Him, He's challenging me to trust Him more and more. As a result, I believe I see Him working more and more. This is exciting. Yes, it's scary, but it's also exhilarating knowing that I'm on an adventure that is getting more and more thrilling with each passing day!

I'm reminded of a little man that we often heard about in Sabbath school. His name was Zacchaeus. You remember the song, "Zacchaeus was a wee little man, a wee little man was he. He climbed up in a sycamore tree for the Lord he wanted to see. And as the Saviour passed that way, He looked up in the tree. And he said, "Zacchaeus, YOU come down, for I'm going to your house today. I'm going to your house today!" 

You know, Jesus probably wouldn't have made the effort to go to Zacchaeus's home that day if Zacchaeus hadn't made the effort to climb the tree. But because he was so desperate to see Jesus, when Jesus came by, He stopped and called him to come down. In fact, He didn't just say come down, He said come down quickly. And this is how Zacchaeus responded, however, notice how the crowd responded:

"And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully. And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That [Jesus] was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner." Luke 19:6,7

Jesus isn't looking for perfect Christians that are doing everything right. Yes, of course, He wants to help us do right, and He will, if we let Him. But Jesus is looking for those that are willing, willing and committed to do whatever it takes to find Him. He knows if the willingness is there, then the heart will follow. And in Zacchaeus case it did. He was so touched by the love of God, that he went back and paid back all those that he had taken from wrongly! And it's the principle I really believe we should work from today as Christian missionaries. Our first goal isn't reform. Our first goal is heart reform. Because once the heart is reformed, all the other reforms will follow!

The main thought I'm inspired with today though is that Jesus wants to see that we are serious about finding Him. How serious are we? Is our desire a passing fancy, or are we…um… really serious

So… are you willing to go climb a tree today? To appear foolish and odd, to have strange stares and whispered comments, IF that means you can see Jesus? Are you willing to step out of your comfort zone today for Him! I am… I'm ready. Let's go climb some trees!

Review:

  • Bible Thought: Am I willing to step out of my comfort zone to find Christ?
  • Blessing: I tell ya what, if we do take the leap and go out on a limb, it's amazing what you will discover. Each day, I see more and more clearly things I'd never seen before. It's amazing!
  • Battles: To not listen to the world around me that says, "That's crazy! What are you doing up there Melody? Don't you know that limbs are dangerous! You might fall!"Ha…if I fall, I fall into His arms! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Melody,

    What does climbing a tree mean in reality? Why does the world tell you that's crazy? I don't see what your doing as crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Climbing a tree" or "going out on a limb" can mean different things to all of us. But I believe, at least for me, it just means stepping outside of my comfort zone because I'm so eager to not only have a closer walk with God, but to serve Him more completely. One thing that many people feel is "odd" is that I don't work or have a steady income. Everything I do in ministry is volunteer now, and I am trusting God to pay my bills. The world, and even some of my Christian friends, tell me this is unwise. "You might fall! What if an emergency comes along! You don't have insurance!" etc. But I feel that God has called me to work full time for Him, and I have so much to do, that I honestly don't even have time to go back to a regular job… although I know I could work if I wanted to. But I don't have time. And as I've been trusting God more and more, and going out further and further on this limb, He has been blessing. So I know I'm not acting presumptuously. However, I wouldn't tell someone else to quit their job and just go walk away from it all. They have to follow the path of faith as God leads. Each one are at different points along this walk of faith… so what is scary to someone may not be scary to me, and what is not scary to others WOULD be scary to me. (Like I'm not signing $1 million contracts for TV stations right now. I'm not ready to exercise that kind of faith. You get the idea? :-) But I am willing to trust God to pay my bills today, and wow… it's amazing how He provides!!!

    Hopefully that helps answer the question. :-)

    ReplyDelete