Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Giving with a willing Heart

This morning I found my "Morning Sonshine" in 1 Chronicles chapter 29. Here, just before David dies, he is giving Solomon important instructions regarding the building of the temple. And to show his entire devotion for this important project (that he will not even get to see completed), he gives of his own wealth freely to help the upcoming building project. This is his words:

"Because I have set my affection to the house of my God, I have of mine own proper good, of gold and silver, which I have given to the house of my God, over and above all that I have prepared for the holy house." 1 Chron. 29:3

He finishes with the challenge to Israel: "And who then is willing to consecrate his service this day unto the LORD?"1 Chron. 29:5

This is how the congregation of Israel responded: "Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the LORD: and David the king also rejoiced with great joy." 1 Chron. 29:9

David didn't demand that the people give. He invited them to give. And as a result of their love and devotion for God, they willingly gave just as he had. I think this is so beautiful. And it's a picture of how our service is to Christ today. He doesn't demand anything. But He invites us to give. But it's not those that give out obligation that really make God's heart happy. It's those that give out of a willing heart.

"Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God liveth a cheerful giver." 2 Cor. 9:7

However, I cannot stop here. In the final words to the children of Israel as King, David blesses the Lord for His majesty and glory. And listen to these humbling words:

"Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name. But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee. For we are strangers before thee, and sojourners, as were all our fathers: our days on the earth are as a shadow, and there is none abiding. O LORD our God, all this store that we have prepared to build thee an house for thine holy name cometh of thine hand, and is all thine own." 1 Chron. 29:13-16

Not only does David praise God for who He is, but He praise Him that he and his people actually have the ability to give. 

You know, sometimes I think that we feel like God owes us thanks. After all, we sacrifice to give him our time, our tithes, and our offerings, right? But David is acknowledging that he couldn't give these gifts (even as a King) if it were not for God's blessing. May we remember that as well even today! And may we give, not just out of obligation, and not just when we have the means, but with a willing heart because we love our King!

Review:
  • Bible Thought: Give willingly, even those things most precious. For they come from God anyway!
  • Blessings: I have some huge ministry projects that I'm currently tackling. Anyway, I just really felt burdened to take some extra time out to pray last night. (I'm usually an early morning riser, but to stay up late to pray? Well, that's not my cup of tea, unless I'm at ARME praying over people in the hot seat!) Well, I'm praising God today, because despite being up at least half of the night last night praying, I had full strength and energy today and I got an amazing amount of things done. Progress is happening! It truly was an amazing miraculous day, which makes me think that maybe I need to take some more nights out to pray. I'm also thinking that "giving with a willing heart" may also include, "giving up sleep." This isn't easy, even for me, but I'm discovering more and more that the rewards are really worth it.
  • Battles: To not listen to the distracting voice of the enemy that constantly tries to pull me off course.

No comments:

Post a Comment