Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Pain of Surrender

Often in life, I've experienced very REAL pain as God cut something "of self" out of my life. Whether it was an inordinate affection I had toward something or someone, a selfish habit, or something of pleasure that I had put in the place of God, it wasn't fun to let it go. But I've learned that when God asks me to surrender something to Him, it's always so that I can grow closer to God. However, the devil has once again twisted this whole concept, and he's tried to convince us that God is out to make us suffer. He wants us to think that God is a harsh task master. But this couldn't be further from the truth.

Discipline vs. Abuse
Hebrews 12:5-7 compares Godly discipline to the discipline of a loving, devoted Father. This kind of discipline is expressed tenderly, in love, it is minimized to the level of need, brings about greater strength and health, and it is always presented with the hope of reconciliation and the fostering of even deeper intimacy with Him. The enemy works only in the arena of abuse. He is cruel, angry, harsh, extreme, breathes threats of abandonment and forsaking. Satan’s abuse injures, makes sick, breaks the spirit and hinders and disrupts intimacy. Anything of an abusive nature that comes against us is not from God.

God tells us in His Word, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit." John 15:1,2

"Purgeth" is another word for "Prune." We often prune our grape vines so that the vines that produce will be stronger. And so God does allow us to walk through the fire and through pain. But He does it so He can purge away the dross (the sin) in our lives. 

So as we take on another beautiful day with Him, let us remember that He loves us and only does that which will bring us closer to Him!

Review:
  • Bible Thought: God is our father, and just as it hurts our earthly parents to discipline us, so it hurts God as well. He only does what is needful!
  • Blessing: I have to say that after all the "godly discipline" I've been through, I'm only stronger and more thankful for how He's led. Truly, He knows what is best and what needed to be removed from my life!
  • Battles: Listen to God's voice, trust Him, and allow Him to do His work. But when bad things happen, don't blame Him, but go to Him for strength to stand against the attacks of the enemy!

No comments:

Post a Comment