Monday, April 29, 2013

My Shepherd…never fails!

This is the last comparison I will share for now! This is one of my favorites! 

As we begin a new week, let the reality of this promise be ours, no matter what we face.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want… 

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever." Psalm 23

Shepherd vs. Roaring Lion
John 10:11-15 defines Christ as a good shepherd who lays down His life for His sheep. As our shepherd He is deeply interested and concerned in even the smallest matter, watchful, constantly alerted to the needs of His own. He never tires, He never sleeps. He is always looking upon His lambs with an affectionate gaze, ready to fight and defeat any fiend that would dare attack those under His care. Satan is defined as a roaring lion in 1 Peter 5:8. A roaring lion is the opposite of a good shepherd. He looks to control through fear instead of love. He rules through intimidation, not respect. He makes demands and threatens severe punishments if not obeyed. He makes the soul anxious and tense (rather than the absolute peace that is promised by the Shepherd in Psalm 23). The enemy roars loudly about his power and constantly yells, “Beware! The enemy is more powerful than you!” Anything of the “roaring lion” nature that comes against us is not from God. 


Review: 
  • Bible Thought: God is our good Shepherd, and He loves us. He is not that roaring lion that is out trying to get us!!!
  • Blessing: I have felt God's "shepherdly" guidance and love so tenderly this past week. From wakening me early to spend time with Him on some days, to allowing me to sleep in a little longer when I was exhausted on others, to chastening me gently when I did something wrong, to giving me thoughts and inspiration as I write that just flowed, to giving me just the words of encouragement to speak to friends in need. Some may think I have it all perfectly together, but the secret is, I'm relying on His strength. And He is amazing and dependable. And He gives me each day just what I need!
  • Battles: That I will keep focused and keep my eyes on Him, not on myself or on the success He brings! "Not by might or by power, but by MY SPIRIT, saith the Lord of Hosts." It's all by Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment