Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Respectable Sins of the Heart

So why did I choose the title above? I say "respectable sins" because no one in society would condemn you or think bad about you for these sins. They are expected. They are just part of normal every day behavior and life, even among Christians. But God calls us to a higher standard!

As I continue to speak and share, I've added another "Heart Evaluation" to my list. It's called "Heart Attitudes." I decided I'd share it with everyone today. It may not seem like "Morning Sonshine," but remember it's only as God continues to search and purify our hearts that we can be drawn closer to Him! 
So don't despair. He's just shedding light on the trash in our heart so that we know how to pray and clean!

“The LORD seeth not as man seethe; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.” 1 Sam. 16:7. “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. “ James. 4:8 

Though many sins may be "ok" in society, they are not respectable to God. And we must allow Him to purify and sanctify (cleanse) our hearts if we would be ready to meet Him in the clouds of glory. So with that in mind, and I speak to myself as well as everyone listening, if any of the following are part of your life or heart – allow God to change your by claiming Ezekiel 36:26, “A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you…”

Anxiety & Frustration – “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Phil. 4:6 (ESV) “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.” Isa. 26:3

Discontentment – “Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” Phil. 4:11

Unthankfulness – “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of Christ Jesus concerning you.” 1 Thes. 5:18. “Be thankful unto him, and bless his name.” Ps. 100:4

Self-Pity – “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” Phil. 3:13,14

Pride – “A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.” Prov. 29:23. “The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.” Ps. 34:18

Selfishness – “For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45

Lack of Self Control/Lust – “He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.” Prov. 25:28. “Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.” Eph. 6:11. “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” Gal. 5:16

Impatience and Irritability– “Great peace have they which love thy law and nothing shall offend them.”
Ps. 119:165. “Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer.” Rom 12:12

AngerLet not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil.” Eph. 4:26,27. “Avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath. For it is written, vengeance is mine, I will repay, saith the Lord. If thine enemy hunger, feed him. If he thirst, give him drink…heap coals of fire on his head.” Rom. 12:19,20

Gossiping/Sarcasm/Criticism/Complaining/Exaggerating Tales– “That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind. Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. ” Eph. 4:22,23,29. “Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.” Jam 4:11

Envy/Jealousy – “A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.” Prov 14:30. “Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long.” Prov. 23:17 

So why did I share all these delightful reminders about how many things we all struggle with? Listen to the following and take these thoughts to heart…

"In the whole satanic force there is not power to overcome one soul who in simple trust casts himself on Christ. But we must have a knowledge of ourselves, a knowledge that will result in contrition, before we can find pardon and peace. It is only he who knows himself to be a sinner that Christ can save." p. 157

"No man can empty himself of self. We can only consent for Christ to accomplish the work
Then the language of the soul will be, “Lord, take my heart; for I cannot give it. It is thy property. Keep it pure, for I cannot keep it for Thee. Save me in spite of myself, my weak un-Christlike self. Mold me, fashion me, raise me into a pure and holy atmosphere, where the rich current of Thy love can flow through my soul.” It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation is to be made. At every advance step heavenward it is to be renewed. All our good works are dependent on a power outside of ourselves. Therefore there needs to be a continual reaching out of the heart after God, a continual, earnest, heartbreaking confession of sin and humbling of the soul before Him. Only by constant renunciation of self and dependence on Christ can we walk safely.” Christ Object Lessons, p. 159

Review:

  • Bible Thought: We need a new heart today…that NOT even 1 respectable sin will find a home in!
  • Blessing: If we ask God to search us and purify our hearts, He will. Just be careful what you pray for along this line, because if you pray, He will act! :-) I know… trust me!
  • Battle: To allow Him to search out and clean each corner of our lives!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the quotations from "Christ Object Lessons" - it was very encouraging!
    Yelena

    ReplyDelete