Wednesday, April 24, 2013

God's Pain or Enemy's Pain??

As I share what God's been showing me in regard to "Spiritual Fortification," I think it's important that we understand and recognize the difference between pain that God allows to "prune us and grow us" (see John 15:2) and pain that comes from the enemy to torture us and destroy us.

So often, I think that we as Christian's get confused and often blame God for things that come from Satan. And this is just what he wants. The enemy would like nothing better than that we blame every bad thing that happens in our lives on God. Because he knows if we do, we will become hardened and bitter, and we will lose our childlike love and trust. But while God allows trials, difficulties and pain to build us (and He does not explain everything that happens in this life), it’s important to understand the difference between what comes from the enemy and what comes from our God. Once we clearly understand the nature of God, we wont be confused by what is happening and we can stand up against the legitimate attacks of the enemy rather than simply blaming God.

Over the next few days, I'm going to share a list of things, compliments of my friend Leslie Ludy, that help us recognize the difference between the character of God and the character of the arch deceiver. Re-studying this topic has been so encouraging for me, and I know it will be for you all as well.

Here is the first one!


Light vs. Darkness
1 Peter 2:9 says that God has called us out of darkness into His marvelous light. Think about the qualities of light: clear, not confused, not blurry, but bright, cheerful and hopeful. The opposite of light is darkness. Satan is the prince of darkness, meaning he is the prince of all things fearful, confused, indistinct, dim and forbidding. Anything of confusion, fear, or darkness is not from God. 

I know something that I've struggled with off and on for years is a "fear of the dark" and a "fear of flying." (That's pretty tough because I fly A LOT, and I also have to walk outside at night a lot in the dark!) One day recently, it hit me. God hasn't given me this spirit of fear. He's given me a spirit of love, of power, and of a sound mind. (See 2nd Tim. 1:7) This fear that haunts me, when I walk outside at night, or when I fly on my travels is NOT from God. It's from the enemy! I can no longer let this fear control me. 

Well, the fear isn't completely gone, but whenever it comes in, knowing that it's not from God, but from Satan, I start claiming promises, and soon I have peace again! Praise the Lord!

"I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears." Ps. 34:4
Review: 
  • Bible Thought: There's a difference between what God sends and what the enemy sends. God is a God of light, not darkness. Let us remember this in our day to day struggles!
  • Blessings: He's helping me overcome my fears!
  • Battles: To keep my hand in His and not look at the darkness of the enemy!

No comments:

Post a Comment